NewsTop pool player staged sham robbery of Limerick bookiesBy Staff Reporter – December 23, 2016 3204 WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Neil Madigan from Limerick, who in 2014 was ranked the No 1 Irish Pool Player, staged a robbery at the betting shop he managed. Picture: Don Moloney / Press 22A TOP ranked pool player has been “left in the gutter” over his involvement in robbing the betting shop he managed, Limerick Circuit Court was told last week.Neil Madigan (32) of Prospect, Limerick was said to have run up large gambling debts and was trying to “bet his way out of trouble” when he staged a robbery of the Ladbrokes betting shop on Cecil Street shortly before 9:30pm on March 17, 2015.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up An international pool player, he was also involved in bringing high profile snooker players like Denis Taylor and Steve Davis to Limerick for exhibition matches. He even had an exhibition match arranged for the day after the alleged robbery.Detective Garda Michael Lambe said that Neil Madigan was counting cash when Hayden Johnson (22) from Ballinacurra Weston approached the counter.Madigan later told Gardaí that he let Johnson in behind the counter because he was afraid he was going to be stabbed.Johnson made off with €6,000 in cash but missed another bag of money in the safe.The store manager gave a detailed statement to Gardaí in which he recounted details of the alleged robbery. Extensive CCTV footage was from around the city centre was examined and eventually Johnson was identified through an unusual jacket he was wearing.Johnson, who was a former apprentice jockey, was arrested and after initially denying any involvement, he later admitted to robbing the betting shop and claimed there was only €2,000 in the cash bag which was not recovered.The head of security at Ladbrokes became suspicious of Neil Madigan’s actions on the night of the alleged robbery as he had failed to adhere to certain security protocols. He had also failed to make bank lodgements for two days before incident.Prosecution Counsel John O’Sullivan BL said it soon became apparent “that it was effectively an inside job”.He was betting on credit at the shop he managed as well as betting in other shops around the city.Three months later, he admitted his involvement and told Gardaí that he met an unnamed man who said he could help him by “sending a young fella down if there was money ready”.Madigan, who worked with Ladbrokes for 11 years, didn’t think the man was serious but went along with it after he was told the debt would be wiped out.Defence counsel Brian McInerney said his client was now “in the gutter and has limited prospects such is the attraction this story will get”.Hayden Johnson had since secured a job and offered to pay €100 every two weeks to repay the €2,000 he claimed was in the bag.Adjourning the case for 12 months, Judge Tom O’Donnell said he would take into account if any compensation was paid.Madigan and Johnson were released on continuing bail. Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival TAGSDennis TaylorfeaturedLadbrokeslimerickLimerick Limerick Circuit CourtPoolrobberySteve Davis WhatsApp Print Facebook Limerick’s Neil Madigan who in 2014 was ranked the No 1 Irish Pool Player.Picture: Don Moloney / Press 22 Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Previous articleLimerick victim of savage assault says there’s no justiceNext articleWin cinema tickets Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Twitter Linkedin Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Email Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash
San Luis Obispo County Sheriff(NEW YORK) — Paul Flores, the man charged with murder this week in connection to the 1996 disappearance of his college classmate, Kristin Smart, is due to make his first court appearance on Thursday.Smart, a 19-year-old freshman at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo disappeared in the early hours of May 25, 1996, after a party near school.Flores — who was arrested for murder on Tuesday — walked Smart home from that party, and previously was named the “prime suspect,” authorities said.Flores is accused of causing the teen’s death during an attempted rape, San Luis Obispo District Attorney Dan Dow said Wednesday.Flores’ father, Ruben Flores, is accused of helping conceal Smart’s body after the murder, Dow said.Ruben Flores was charged Tuesday as an accessory to the murder after the fact and is also due in court Thursday.Despite this week’s arrests, Smart’s remains have not been found, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson said.“We are not going to stop until Kristin has been recovered,” he said Tuesday.Smart’s family said in a statement Tuesday: “For over twenty-four years, we have waited for this bittersweet day. It is impossible to put into words what this day means for our family; we pray it is the first step to bringing our daughter home.”“The knowledge that a father and son, despite our desperate pleas for help, could have withheld this horrible secret for nearly 25 years, denying us the chance to lay our daughter to rest, is an unrelenting and unforgiving pain,” the family said. “We now put our faith in the justice system and move forward, comforted in the knowledge that Kristin has been held in the hearts of so many and that she has not been forgotten.”Dow said Wednesday that his office is seeking information from the public on other potential crimes committed by Paul Flores or his father.“Paul Flores was known to frequent bars in the San Pedro area from 2005 until the present day,” Dow said, asking anyone with information to call San Luis Obispo County Crime Stoppers at 805-549-7867.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Published on December 1, 2017 at 2:56 pm Contact Sam: [email protected] | @Sam4TR Syracuse guard Geno Thorpe is leaving the program, SU Athletics announced on Friday afternoon. His departure comes after he played a season-low four minutes against Maryland on Monday. He left the program, at least in part, because he was unhappy with his playing time, multiple sources told The Daily Orange. Thorpe left Penn State at the end of the 2013-14 season for the same reason.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThorpe did not board the team’s flight to Miami for its game against Kansas on Saturday afternoon.This leaves SU with three scholarship guards: junior Frank Howard, sophomore Tyus Battle and freshman Howard Washington.The graduate transfer was brought in from South Florida to provide depth and he was a part of the three-guard lineups — with Howard and Battle — that SU head coach Jim Boeheim discussed at the beginning of the year. Syracuse has not played that lineup much recently, instead going with freshmen forwards Oshae Brissett and Marek Dolezaj.“He wants to start in the three-guard rotation,” Gene Thorpe, Geno’s father, told The Daily Orange in October. “(He wants to) be part of the starting lineup with Howard (and) Battle.”Thorpe has played in six games, averaging 14.3 minutes and six points per game.“He loves (Syracuse) so far,” Gene added.Thorpe was enrolled in one class this semester that met once per week. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+