Appeal court upholds judge’s decision to drop all charges in Zongo case

first_img Burkina FasoAfrica News Burkina FasoAfrica A Ouagadougou appeal court on 16 August upheld an investigating judge’s decision to dismiss all charges in the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo. A judicial source told AFP that the appeal court refused to consider the Zongo family’s appeal against the ruling, claiming that the “investigating judge did his job well.”The judge’s decision, issued on 19 July, had been criticised by many human rights groups, civil society organisations and opposition parties. Reporters Without Borders will continue to campaign for justice to be done.————————–14.08.2006 – Appeal court urged to overturn judge’s decision to dismiss charges in Zongo murderReporters Without Borders today called on the Ouagadougou appeal court to overturn an investigating judge’s decision to dismiss all charges in the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo, saying it was manifestly the result of “irresistible political pressure” and “clearly violates the code of criminal procedure.”It was Zongo’s family that brought the appeal against investigating judge Wenceslas Ilboudo’s 19 July decision to dismiss charges against Marcel Kafando “and X” (meaning “other undetermined persons”). It is due to be heard on 16 August.“Saying there are no grounds for proceeding against ‘Marcel Kafando and X’ clearly violates the code of criminal procedure as the proceedings were initiated in a case of murder and it is logically impossible to clear ‘X’ as well as Kafando and thereby close the case,” Reporters Without Borders said.Zongo was an investigative journalist and editor of the weekly L’Indépendant. His charred body was found in his car, along with the bodies of three other people, on 13 December 1998. Kafando was one of three members of the Presidential Security Battalion (BSP) who were later convicted in connection with a murder Zongo had been investigating at the time of his death.“The case cannot be closed simply because eight years later a witness retracts a statement that undermined a suspect’s alibi,” Reporters Without Borders continued. “It is one thing for charges to be dropped against Kafando for lack of evidence. But the judicial authorities must continue to look for ‘X.’ If they do not, it will be clear that the Zongo case was closed for purely political reasons.”The press freedom organisation added: “We call on Judge Ilboudo to admit he yielded to irresistible political pressure that ended up making his work impossible. When a representative of our organisation met him on 14 September 2005 at the Ouagadougou lawcourts, he expressed the personal conviction that Kafando and the BSP were involved in the Zongo murder and said he would do everything in his power to find the evidence. But he also spoke of the difficulties he was having, given the ‘law of silence’ surrounding the BSP.”As a result of this conversation, Reporters Without Borders wrote an open letter to President Blaise Compaoré on 25 October 2005, the opening day of the recent presidential election campaign.The letter said: “Investigating judge Wenceslas Ilboudo has tried to get all the witnesses to finally tell the whole truth. But without success. They fear for their safety if they break the law of silence. So the investigation has ground to a complete halt. Reporters Without Borders therefore asks you to appeal publicly to the witnesses in the Zongo case to speak without fear. This case will not progress if you do not give the witnesses your assurance that you will support them if they talk, and that you undertake to protect them.” Receive email alerts Two Spanish journalists killed in eastern Burkina Faso RSF_en News June 7, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Burkina Faso A Ouagadougou appeal court on 16 August upheld an investigating judge’s decision to dismiss all charges in the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo. A judicial source told AFP that the appeal court refused to consider the Zongo family’s appeal against the ruling, claiming that the “investigating judge did his job well.” May 5, 2021 Find out more French reporter says he has been kidnapped in northeastern Mali Time is pressing, 20 years after Burkinabe journalist’s murder News August 17, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Appeal court upholds judge’s decision to drop all charges in Zongo case to go further Organisation News Help by sharing this information April 27, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Search for Gussie continues 16 years on

first_imgAdvertisement Email AENGUS ‘Gussie’ Shanahan has been missing from Limerick since for 16 years after he was last seen on February 11, 2000 having left a Limerick city bar.Aengus, better known as ‘Gussie’ is the youngest in a family of four and lived with his parents Bob and Nancy at Ashbrook, Ennis road, Limerick. He was an employee of Dell, Castletroy, Limerick and finished work on that Friday afternoon. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Family or friends had not seen or heard from him over that weekend and concern grew regarding his whereabouts. When he did not return to work on Monday February 14, 2000 his family reported him as a missing person to An Garda Siochana. Gussie went to Coopers bar in St Joseph Street, Limerick with friends on that Friday afternoon. He was due to stay that night with friends in St Joseph Street but did not do so. It has been established that he left the bar on his own at 10.30pm and walked from there onto Old School House lane, which connects with Barrington Street. That is the last sighting of Gussie. Gussie is described as being 5′ 10″, thin build, pale complexion and with fair hair cut short.Aengus’s family and Gardaí are appealing for anyone who may have seen Gussie or have useful information and who have not been in contact previously, to do so now.Gardaí are also appealing to anyone who may have seen Gussie on this Friday night or early the following morning to come forward, especially Taxi Drivers in the Limerick area.Anyone with information is asked to contact Roxboro Road Garda Station on 061 214340, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station. Shannondoc operating but only by appointment Previous articleBack to Neverland for Peter PanNext articleNICE SCREAMS from Limerick – A Citizens’ Anthem for Ireland 2016? Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp No vaccines in Limerick yet Linkedin NewsSearch for Gussie continues 16 years onBy Staff Reporter – February 10, 2016 676 Facebookcenter_img RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Print Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended First Irish death from Coronavirus Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April TAGSfeatured Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHLlast_img read more

Indonesian students feel safer in Australia despite PM’s call to go home

first_imgAs countries around world face the COVID-19 pandemic, some Indonesian students said that they felt safer staying in Australia, despite Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s statement that international students “make their way home”.On Friday, Morrison advised holiday visa holders and foreign students who are unable to support themselves during the COVID-19 pandemic to return to their home countries as the country looks to reserve economic aid for its own citizens.”As much as it’s lovely to have visitors to Australia in good times, at times like this, if you are a visitor in this country, it is time […] to make your way home,” Morrison after a Cabinet meeting on Friday, as quoted by Australian public broadcaster ABC. Nadiah felt that the hospitals in Australia were more capable, adding that going home might risk contracting the disease during travel and endangering her family back in Indonesia. “I feel safer here,” she said.As of Sunday, Indonesia has announced 2,273 confirmed cases, with 191 deaths, while Australia has recorded 5,687 cases, but only 35 deaths.Marissa Devi, a 27-year old student pursuing her master’s degree at the University of South Australia in Adelaide echoed Dian’s sentiments.“I personally feel safer here, specifically South Australia. A few days ago, it was reported that the state was the best for COVID-19 testing worldwide,” she said. “My parents have asked me to go home, but I feel that, in Jakarta, the risk of contracting the disease is even greater, not to mention the limited capacity for testing.”Indonesia has only tested 7,986 people as of Saturday, while Australia has tested more than 260,000 people.The Indonesian Embassy in Canberra, however, advised Indonesian citizens with travelers and working holiday visas to “immediately arrange a return trip to Indonesia” following the Prime Minister’s statement.Embassy spokesperson Billy Wibisono said that the embassy and consulates would keep track of Indonesian nationals holding working holiday visas that needed help while continuing to aid ones that have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in Australia.Topics : Despite the prime minister’s statement, Dian Dini Primadani, the vice president Indonesian Student Association (PPIA) in South Australia, said that around 160 students in the state chose to stay put as they felt safer.She added that some students that have gone back to Indonesia before the pandemic cannot go back to Australia now, forcing them to postpone their studies.Several Indonesian students said they chose to stay because they felt that Australia has better healthcare capabilities.“Because if I go home in Indonesia the conditions are the same, or maybe even worse right?” Nadiah Ghina Shabrina, a 22-year old Indonesian studying for a master’s degree at the University of Technology Sydney told The Jakarta Post on Saturday.last_img read more

Greenslopes home sells with a $245k profit after five-month flip

first_imgThe home has open plan living and polished wooden floorboards.Mr Oostenbrink said the renovation and size is what attracted the buyer, a woman and her 18-year-old daughter.More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020“It was three-bedroom, two-bathroom, had a master with an ensuite and was close to the CBD,” Mr Oostenbrink said. “Everything in it was brand-spanking-new and the Hamptons-style detail inside was fantastic.” The property has a large and well maintained backyard.Last month, Mr Oostenbrink also sold the home at 27 Dodwell St, Holland Park West, which had even more interest, with more than 150 groups through the home, before selling at $840,000.“The market is booming and we’ve been non-stop,” he said.Further east, Place Bulimba agent Shane Hicks said the home at 24 Bernecker St, Carina, sold at auction for $1.19 million, while 72 Macdonald St, Norman Park, sold before auction at $1.25 million.Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 3:17Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -3:17 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels576p576p480p480p256p256p228p228pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenMichelle Hele’s May market wrap03:17 The renovations include modern bathrooms.He said the home had 75 groups through over four weeks of open homes, with nine written offers.center_img The home at 94 Cedar St, Greenslopes, sold for $875,000.THE sellers of this Greenslopes home pocketed more than $200,000 in a five-month flip.The sellers bought the property at 94 Cedar St for $630,000 late last year, and Belle Property Carindale principal Andrew Oostenbrink said after listing the home without a price it sold for $875,000.last_img read more

Both Wellington basketball teams to play Mulvane in sub-state first round in Winfield

first_imgby Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The Kansas State High School Activities Association released its sub-state basketball brackets for Class 4A. The Wellington boys and girls basketball teams will be playing in the Winfield sub-state March 5-7, 2015.The brackets are as follows: Boys: Thursday#2 Wellington (10-10) vs. #3 Mulvane (4-16) – 6 p.m.#1 Winfield (13-7) vs. #4 Rose Hill (3-17) -  7:30 p.m.SaturdaySub-state Championship at 7:30 p.m. Winner goes to Class 4A Div. 1 State Tournament in Salina. (Bracket is here). Girls: Friday#1 Wellington (13-7) vs. #4 Mulvane (5-15), 6 p.m.#2 Winfield (11-9) vs. Rose Hill (5-15), 7:30 p.m.SaturdaySub-state Championship at 6 p.m. Winners goes to Class 4A Div. 1 State Tournament in Salina. (Bracket is here). Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more

Tests rule out serious injury for Barca defender Lenglet

first_imgBarca defender Clement LengletKampala, Uganda | XINHUA | There was good news for FC Barcelona on Monday when tests showed that central defender Clement Lenglet has only suffered a minor groin injury and will be fit for their Champions League return leg game against Napoli on August 8.Lenglet was forced out of Barca’s 5-0 win away to Alaves that ended the La Liga season on Sunday in the 48th minute and quickly disappeared into the dressing room.With Samuel Umtiti already out of action with a long-standing knee problem and only B-team defender Ronald Araujo to give back up to the veteran Gerard Pique, a serious injury for Lenglet would have been a major blow for Barca’s Champions League hopes as the club looks to avoid ending the season without a title.However, Barca coach Quique Setien will breathe a bit easier after the tests shows that Lenglet has not suffered any tear to his groin and will have no problem being fit for the vital European game. ****XINHUAShare on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Thurston EDC and Tenino Chamber Partner To Survey Local Businesses

first_imgFacebook1Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Thurston Economic Development CouncilMay 8, 2013 – The Thurston Economic Development Council (EDC) is partnering with the Tenino Area Chamber of Commerce to conduct visitation surveys with local businesses in and around the city of Tenino during the months of May and June. The purpose of these interviews is to better understand the characteristics of the businesses in the community and to determine how the Thurston EDC and the Tenino Chamber can better serve the needs of those businesses.“Both the Tenino Chamber and the Economic Development Council possess unique tools and resources that can be utilized to retain and grow local business,” says Michael Cade, Executive Director of the Thurston EDC.This joint project is an outgrowth of the South Thurston Economic Development Initiative, a recently-formed group that is committed to ensure that business owners in south Thurston County have access to resources. A number of organizations are involved, including Thurston Regional Planning Council, the Olympia Lacey Tumwater Visitor & Convention Bureau, local municipalities, Washington State University TeleWork program, Yelm Chamber of Commerce, Tenino Chamber of Commerce and Thurston EDC.The Thurston EDC works to connect local businesses with experts and resources to help them stay competitive through its Business Resource Center – providing counseling, mentoring, and technical assistance to new and existing business owners. The Tenino Chamber of Commerce works to be the collective voice of local small business owners and gives Tenino-area businesses the ability to help strengthen and improve their community.The information that businesses provide through this survey will remain confidential. Local businesses that are unable to participate in an in-person survey are encouraged to contact Michael Cade at the Thurston EDC office: (360) 754-6320 to access an online survey.last_img read more