Prosecutor admits blocking enquiry into murder of journalist Slavko Curuvija

first_img Reporters Without Borders called on Serbia-Montenegro authorities today to investigate the confessions of a state prosecutor arrested for having underworld ties that he blocked the enquiry into the 1999 murder of Slavko Curuvija (photo), publisher of the newspapers Dnevni Telegraf and Evropljanin.”At a time when the weaknesses of the legal system are clear for all to see, when the prosecutor who obstructed the enquiry is suspended and Serbia-Montenegro will soon become the 45th member of the Council of Europe, we hope the shameless impunity enjoyed by Curuvija’s killers will soon end,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard.He called on prime minister Zoran Zivkovic and interior minister Dusan Mihajlovic to do all they could to find those who killed the journalist and put them on trial.Under the state of emergency declared on 12 March after the assassination of prime minister Zoran Djindjic, deputy state prosecutor Milan Sarajlic was suspended and arrested, along with other legal officials thought to be linked with underworld figures. The interior ministry said Sarajlic had confessed during his detention to working with the powerful Zemun gang and to actively obstructing the Curuvija murder probe. State prosecutor Sinisa Simic, who was in charge of the enquiry, was sacked on 21 March.Curuvija was shot dead by two masked men in front of his Belgrade home on 11 April 1999 as he arrived there with his wife. He had been constantly harassed for his critical writings about the regime of President Slobodan Milosevic.In March 2001, some Belgrade media said police knew who murdered him and who had ordered the killing. They said the actual killer was dead, the mastermind would soon be arrested and that the murder had no links with state security officials. But his widow said state security officials were protecting the mastermind.Djordje Martic, former editor of newspaper Ekspres Politika, said on 14 April 2001 that an article that appeared in the paper on 6 April 1999, a few days before the murder, accusing him of being a traitor and in favour of the NATO military attack, had been written on the orders of Milosevic’s wife, Mirjana Markovic, head of the leftist party Yugoslavia. March 31, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Prosecutor admits blocking enquiry into murder of journalist Slavko Curuvija News Europe – Central Asia Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia Organisation News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan to go further “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Receive email alertscenter_img News Europe – Central Asia June 8, 2021 Find out more News Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says June 4, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en June 7, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Cultural heritage of Istria and Southern Dalmatia presented on French Arte TV

first_imgStaff from the report French Kisses from Croatia, Arte TV The European cultural TV channel Arte TV broadcast a series of reports on the rich cultural heritage of Istria and South Dalmatia in its show Invitation to Travel. These are reports that were created as a result of cooperation and engagement of the Representation of the Croatian Tourist Board in France. U show about Istria we talked to the owners of Istrian restaurants, but also winemakers, who testified to the rich eno-gastronomic value of Istria. They presented Rovinj, which they called Venice in miniature, Pula, where the gladiator games were evoked, but also the interior of Istria, where the picturesque towns of Buje and Motovun are located. The report also mentions the most common traditional vessel in Rovinj, the batana. “Such shows that reveal lesser-known cultural and historical facts of Croatian tourist destinations are our special challenge and imperative in the tourist promotion of Croatia on the French emitting market, since for 60 percent of French people the cultural heritage is the main motive for traveling to a foreign destination ”, said Daniela Mihalić Đurica, Director of the CNTB Representation in France. ARTE TV shows are broadcast six days a week and are watched by over 800 viewers a day. The recorded reports are repeated on several occasions, and are also available at the ARTE TV media library. But these are not the only stories about the Croatian coast, which were presented to French viewers. An earlier report on the island of Pag was published, in which the specifics of the well-known bora wind and report on Pazin with which the famous Jules Verne was also enchanted.center_img Source: Croatian National Tourist BoardCover photo: footage from a report on Istria (Arte TV) In another report called “French kisses from Croatia” Napoleon’s rich influence in Southern Dalmatia is shown, and through conversations with historians, the “Adriatic pearls” of Dubrovnik, Split and Trogir were presented, which delighted Napoleon himself and his marshals, especially Marmont, so much that they showed the world their superiority by conquering them. Finally, let’s say that the French lifestyle magazine Grazia also published TOP 9 Croatian destinations which should definitely be visited this summer. On that scale were: Dubrovnik, Rovinj, Split, Zagreb, Plitvice National Park, Zadar, Hvar, Korcula and Krka National Park. “This is another way to maintain a presence and visibility in our important markets and further interest the French, but also the Germans, to visit us again as soon as possible.”, commented the director of the CNTB, Kristjan Staničić, announcing that the TV ARTE team will record four new reports on Croatia in mid-August and early September.last_img read more