Exports Under China Trade Deal Closely Watched

first_img By NAFB News Service – Aug 23, 2020 Exports Under China Trade Deal Closely Watched Increased new-crop sales to China have the attention of U.S. agriculture, but China needs to buy more to meet their trade promises.An American Farm Bureau Federation Market Intel analysis shows China is buying more U.S. commodities for the upcoming marketing year, starting in September. AFBF Economist Veronica Nigh says the analysis includes corn, soybeans, sorghum and cotton.“So far, soybeans sorghum and cotton have quite a lot of advanced new crop sales, greater than what they’ve been the last few years. Corn sales, a little bit slower. Even though we are seeing reports of big sales by volume, when you look at those sales as a share of total production that’s expected this year, those sales are still pretty moderate.”Nigh says large new-crop sales kick-start exports for the new marketing year, but don’t necessarily lead to greater total exports. She says current data shows China is behind its Phase 1 commitments.“Through the end of June, China was behind on their purchases that they would need to make in order to reach that commitment. So, unfortunately, it’s going to come down the wire, but we’ll still be looking very closely over these next few months to see how the pace is going.”Nigh says there are many factors that can influence trade with China.“There’s a lot of dynamics going on, those that are market driven and those that are politically driven. And so, one thing we do watch pretty closely are cancelled sales. That would be commitments for purchase that never actually materialized into exports. And then I think it’s also important to remember that we’re only a part of the larger China-U.S. relationship.”You can find the analysis on the Market Intel page at fb.org. SHARE Previous articleCoronavirus Aid Delayed, Likely Won’t Include Ag ProvisionsNext articleGrowth Energy Frustrated With Nine New Petitions to EPA for Blending Waivers on the HAT Monday Podcast NAFB News Service Home Indiana Agriculture News Exports Under China Trade Deal Closely Watched Facebook Twitter SHARE Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Mounting tension between authorities and news media following president’s death

first_img Receive email alerts Organisation TogoAfrica Reporters Without Borders called on the Togolese government today to reestablish a “constructive dialogue” with the country’s news media, voicing concern about growing tension and about intimidation and forced closures of privately-owned radio stations since President Gnassingbé Eyadéma’s death on 5 February.”After years of dictatorship, the Togolese media had been enjoying a degree of freedom as a result international pressure but now, in the current confusion, it is crucial that the authorities prove their commitment to press freedom by choosing dialogue over repression,” the organization said.Radio Lumière, a privately-owned radio station based in Aného (a town 45 km east of the capital and near the border with Benin), was closed yesterday on the local prefect’s orders for “inciting hate and violence.” Two gendarmes and their commander went to the station in the morning and confiscated equipment, including its transmitter. Station manager Kossigan Zinsou said the gendarmes, who did not show a warrant, also took his car and destroyed some of the equipment. He told Reporters Without Borders he had gone into hiding.The president of the Union of Free Radio and Television Stations of Togo (URATEL), Jacques Djakouti, said Radio Lumière was accused of broadcasting a statement by opposition politician Harry Olympio of the Rally for the support of Development and Democracy (RSDD).The communication ministry said the station had been “calling on the population to take to the streets against the government of Fauré Gnassingbé,” referring to the late president’s son, who has taken over as president with the army’s support, in violation of the constitution. Army press officer Capt. Moïse Oyomé Kemence said, “the station has been closed for inciting revolt and hate.”Capt. Kemence issued a warning at a meeting yesterday with radio station executives at the headquarters of the High Council for Broadcasting and Communication (HAAC). “We have noticed that certain stations are playing a very dangerous game with unforeseeable consequences,” he said. “It is not the job of the press to call on the population to take to the streets and practice civil disobedience,” Kemence continued. “We have ways of putting a stop to that, we don’t want a Rwanda here or a Radio des Mille Collines,” he added, referring to the hate media that encouraged the Rwandan genocide.Ever since the takeover by President Gnassingbé’s son, a number of privately-owned radio stations in the capital have broadcast phone-in and talk shows in which participants and members of the public have urged the Togolese population to take to the streets “to reestablish constitutional rule.”After Gen. Gnassingbé’s death was announced, the HAAC formally demanded an end to live broadcasts on three privately-owned radio stations based in Lomé, saying they were urging “the population to revolt.” Kanal FM manager Modeste Masavusu-Ekué received a call from HAAC president Georges Agbodjan on the afternoon of 7 February asking him to stop broadcasting discussion programmes. A second call ordered him to stop his “Round Table” programme.Thereafter, Kanal FM carried nothing but music that afternoon. Masavusu-Ekué told Reporters Without Borders he had previously received anonymous telephone threats. He said he understood the HAAC’s decision and he was no longer broadcasting phone-ins. “But we must be allowed to continue round-table discussion programmes that don’t have contributions from outsiders,” he said. “It’s fine that they want to have mourning for the president but what happened after he died has forced us to have debates which we cannot refuse our listeners.”The privately-owned Radio Nostalgie received the same instructions the next day. Station editor Joël Gbagba said the HAAC president, Agbodjan, called him in the middle of a broadcast and said “play music.” Two armed policemen turned up at the studios at around 2 p.m. asking to see those in charge and those who had presented the debate that was broadcast in the morning.Journalist Gilles Bocco said the policemen’s attitude became threatening. “You have insulted our chief,” one of them said to the staff. “Eyadéma is dead but we are still here. You have incited the people to take to the streets. We will kill them all.” After the two policemen left, the journalists noticed “suspicious individuals” hanging around the building, with “Chinese-made motorcycles, like the ones the security forces use.”The HAAC president proposed yesterday that radio stations should broadcast pre-recorded discussion programmes. “When listeners are allowed to phone in, anonymous callers very often use the media to make appeals for tribal hate or revolt against the constitutional authorities,” he told radio executives.Radio France Internationale (RFI) has not been spared. Communication minister and government spokesman Pitang Tchalla claimed on 7 February that “calls for revolt” were also broadcast by RFI. “This is serious,” he told foreign reporters in Lomé. “I’m referring to RFI in particular. This station’s journalists want to start a fire and I appeal to their conscience. This is destabilisation, pure and simple,” he said.In its look back on Gen. Gbassingbé’s life, RFI had said it was “not very glorious” and called him a “dictator” and former “colonial-era soldier.” The next day, RFI’s local FM relay transmitters were cut in what the authorities called a “technical failure.” FM re-transmission was reestablished two days later without explanation. On 8 February, a visiting RFI correspondent was refused a visa when he tried to enter Togo by land from Benin. RFI expressed its “astonishment” at this decision, especially as journalists from many other media have been able to enter the country without problem. RSF_en February 11, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Mounting tension between authorities and news media following president’s death March 11, 2021 Find out more Togolese authorities urged to lift newspaper’s four-month suspension Reporters Without Borders called on the Togolese government today to reestablish a “constructive dialogue” with the country’s news media, voicing concern about growing tension and about intimidation and forced closures of privately-owned radio stations since President Gnassingbé Eyadéma’s death on 5 February. A number of privately-owned radio stations have broadcast phone-in and talk shows in which participants and members of the public have urged the population to take to the streets “to reestablish constitutional rule.” to go further Follow the news on Togo News News TogoAfrica September 15, 2020 Find out more News Togo court upholds “baseless and disproportionate” newspaper closures News March 8, 2021 Find out more Convicting “petrolgate” journalist of defamation would be disastrous, RSF says Help by sharing this information last_img read more

Dogs Trust announce inaugural Dogs Trustival

first_imgFacebook WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter NewsDogs Trust announce inaugural Dogs TrustivalBy Meghann Scully – July 17, 2019 245 Dogs Trust will help find your perfect match this Valentine’s Day Failure to control horses will lead to loss of life Linkedin Gardaí to remove wandering horses from roadside TAGSanimal welfareanimalsdogsDogs TrustDogs TrustivalKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post center_img Dogs Trust launches ‘Nicer to Neuter’ campaign in a bid to help reduce unwanted puppies in Ireland Advertisement Another side to the story of Limerick’s urban horses Email Previous articleSinead O’Connor for Feile ‘19Next articleA successful trip to Limerick for the South African Tag Rugby Team Meghann Scully Print No Repro fee: Andrea Hayes, Holly Carpenter and Maia Dunphy at the launch of Dogs Trustival, a festival themed family event which takes place in Dogs Trust, Finglas on the 18th of August. Andrea Hayes will be MC for the event along with Celebrity judges Maia Dunphy and Holly Carpenter. 17/07/2019 Photograph: Fran VealeDogs Trust rehoming centre have announced that they are holding the inaugural Dogs Trustival.The event is to celebrate the charity being in Ireland for a decade now and will be held in their rehoming centre in Finglas, Dublin on Sunday August 18th.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up It’s a family friendly event that you can take your dogs along to with loads of entertainment on the day from training displays, doggie retail exhibitions and food trucks.Andrea Hayes at the launch of Dogs Trustival, a festival themed family event which takes place in Dogs Trust, Finglas on the 18th of August. Andrea Hayes will be MC for the event along with Celebrity judges Maia Dunphy and Holly Carpenter. 17/07/2019 Photograph: Fran VealeThere will also be a children’s “Education Corner” with face-painting, Canine Agony Aunts, a “Pup Up” photo booth with Pawtrait, as well as a “Museum of Modern Bark”.TV presenter Andrew Hayes will be host on the day and some top Irish music acts such as Hudson Taylor and SARLOOS will be playing acoustic sets on the day.Speaking about Dogs Trustival, Suzie Carley, Executive Director of Dogs Trust said: “Dogs Trust began its work in Ireland in 2005 and we opened the doors to our state-of-the-art Rehoming Centre in 2009.Holly Carpenter at the launch of Dogs Trustival, a festival themed family event which takes place in Dogs Trust, Finglas on the 18th of August. Andrea Hayes will be MC for the event along with Celebrity judges Maia Dunphy and Holly Carpenter. 17/07/2019 Photograph: Fran Veale“Over the last decade we have worked tirelessly to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome as many dogs as possible across Ireland. Since our work began, we have rehomed over 17,000 Irish dogs.“To celebrate this monumental milestone, we wanted to create a special fun-filled event for our amazing supporters and all dog-lovers, showcasing the amazing work that we have achieved together and honouring all the beautiful lives we have changed for the better (dog and human) over the last ten years,” she added.Family tickets only €35 and dogs go free! Tickets are limited so please go to www.dogstrust.ie/dogstrustival A Dog is not just for Christmas but sadly for some it is last_img read more

Phil Lesh, Jim James, Gary Clark Jr., And More To Play Monterey International Pop Festival 50th Anniversary

first_imgIn 1967, history was made with the Monterey International Pop Festival at California’s Monterey Fairgrounds. The festival became iconic almost immediately for both the legendary musical performances of the Grateful Dead, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Otis Redding, Ravi Shankar, and other musical acts who came to define the music of the time. Its also known for its widespread cultural impact, ringing in the Summer of Love and setting the tone of the counterculture of the late 60’s and 70’s, more or less paving the way for the music festivals of today. To celebrate the iconic festival, the Monterey Pop Festival is back this summer to celebrate its 50th anniversary, returning to the same fairgrounds and falling on the exact dates of the first festival on June 16th through 18th.The New York Times reports that Phil Lesh will play the anniversary along with The Terrapin Family Band, reliving his initial performance at the festival fifty years earlier with the Grateful Dead. Though the full lineup is due out on Monday, other acts confirmed for the festival include Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Gary Clark Jr., Father John Misty, Norah Jones, Jack Johnson, The Head and the Heart, and Kurt Vile. More information about the 50th anniversary of the Monterey International Pop Festival can be found on the event’s website here.[H/T Relix; Photo courtesy of the festival’s Twitter]last_img read more

Gigginstown House announce Don Cossack retirement

first_imgGigginstown House has confirmed that they have decided, in consultation with trainer Gordon Elliott and jockey Bryan Cooper, to retire Don Cossack.They say the decision has been made due to a combination of his age and a recurrence of the tendon injury which he suffered last April shortly after winning the Cheltenham Gold Cup.last_img