Prosecutor admits blocking enquiry into murder of journalist Slavko Curuvija

first_img Reporters Without Borders called on Serbia-Montenegro authorities today to investigate the confessions of a state prosecutor arrested for having underworld ties that he blocked the enquiry into the 1999 murder of Slavko Curuvija (photo), publisher of the newspapers Dnevni Telegraf and Evropljanin.”At a time when the weaknesses of the legal system are clear for all to see, when the prosecutor who obstructed the enquiry is suspended and Serbia-Montenegro will soon become the 45th member of the Council of Europe, we hope the shameless impunity enjoyed by Curuvija’s killers will soon end,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard.He called on prime minister Zoran Zivkovic and interior minister Dusan Mihajlovic to do all they could to find those who killed the journalist and put them on trial.Under the state of emergency declared on 12 March after the assassination of prime minister Zoran Djindjic, deputy state prosecutor Milan Sarajlic was suspended and arrested, along with other legal officials thought to be linked with underworld figures. The interior ministry said Sarajlic had confessed during his detention to working with the powerful Zemun gang and to actively obstructing the Curuvija murder probe. State prosecutor Sinisa Simic, who was in charge of the enquiry, was sacked on 21 March.Curuvija was shot dead by two masked men in front of his Belgrade home on 11 April 1999 as he arrived there with his wife. He had been constantly harassed for his critical writings about the regime of President Slobodan Milosevic.In March 2001, some Belgrade media said police knew who murdered him and who had ordered the killing. They said the actual killer was dead, the mastermind would soon be arrested and that the murder had no links with state security officials. But his widow said state security officials were protecting the mastermind.Djordje Martic, former editor of newspaper Ekspres Politika, said on 14 April 2001 that an article that appeared in the paper on 6 April 1999, a few days before the murder, accusing him of being a traitor and in favour of the NATO military attack, had been written on the orders of Milosevic’s wife, Mirjana Markovic, head of the leftist party Yugoslavia. March 31, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Prosecutor admits blocking enquiry into murder of journalist Slavko Curuvija News Europe – Central Asia Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia Organisation News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan to go further “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Receive email alertscenter_img News Europe – Central Asia June 8, 2021 Find out more News Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says June 4, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en June 7, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

CCTV in hunt for Glin gang

first_imgEmail Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories GARDAI hunting a gang who got away with a large amount of money and stock from a Limerick shop are examining CCTV footage from the Limerick toll tunnel. The gang disarmed telephone cables by lifting the cover on a manhole in the street before breaking in the shop in Glin in the early hours of the morning on St Patrick’s day. €30,000 in cash and and an amount of stock was stolen. NewsCCTV in hunt for Glin gangBy Bernie English – March 20, 2015 1037 Facebook WhatsApp Print Twitter Advertisement Linkedin WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Previous articleTrail of Marble and Bread through Sailors’ HomeNext articleWater protest Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival TAGSCCTVGardaíGlinlimerickrobbery Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more