Microsoft launches competition for innovative IT solutions for charities

first_img Tagged with: Awards Technology AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis  17 total views,  1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Microsoft launches competition for innovative IT solutions for charities Microsoft UK has launched its third annual DesignIT competition, inviting IT professionals to come up with ways to solve charities’ IT challenges through innovative and creative ideas.UK IT professionals can now submit a system design that addresses a need identified by a charity of their choice.Bruce Lynn, Head of the Server Product team, Microsoft UK said: “DesignIT provides IT professionals with a personal challenge and the opportunity to make a real contribution to a UK charity. IT is one of the UK’s fastest growing industries and Microsoft believes that it has a responsibility to encourage and recognise the talent within the UK IT industry.”For 2008 Microsoft DesignIT has teamed up with four leading UK charities, Global Action Plan, Leonard Cheshire Disability, Fauna and Flora International and the NSPCC. Each charity has suggested a problem that they would like to see addressed as a starting point for entrants although entries are not just restricted to these problems or these charities. IT professionals can enter system designs for any charity they choose and solve any problem they wish.The winner will be chosen by public vote and Microsoft UK will invest £15,000 towards implementing the winning design. The four runners up will each receive £1,000 worth of Microsoft software.In addition, the top five entries will receive a free ticket to IT Forum 2008 in Barcelona, Microsoft’s premier EMEA conference designed to provide IT professionals with the skills they need.www.microsoft.com/uk/designit About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. Howard Lake | 15 February 2008 | Newslast_img read more

Saudi Arabia bid $194m for Joshua-Fury clash

first_imgRelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Saudi may have enough uranium deposits to make nuclear fuel – Reports Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Saudi Arabia has reportedly made a £150 million ($194 million) bid to host a heavyweight world championship fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury. The Sun newspaper in the UK cited comments from Joshua’s promotor Eddie Hearn as saying the Gulf kingdom would be prepared to spend big to host the boxing event as it continues to make its mark on the global sporting map. Despite the money, Joshua is understood to want the fight to take place in the UK if Fury snatches the WBC heavyweight title from US boxer Deontay Wilder on February 22. He was quoted as saying: “I think it has to be in the UK, to be fair, but I would never let a location get in the way of a mega fight. “The reason I always said I wanted Fury to win that fight is so we could put our fight on here but if he wants to do it in America then it makes sense for Wilder to win and then we do that fight there.” Joshua reclaimed his world heavyweight crown from Andy Ruiz in December, outclassing the Mexican-American to score a unanimous points victory in Saudi Arabia. Billed as the “Clash on the Dunes”, the eagerly anticipated rematch marked the first time a world heavyweight title fight had been staged in Saudi Arabia.Tags: Anthony JoshuaDeontay WilderSaudi ArabiaThe SunTyson Furylast_img read more

BMF confirms staged restart of motor sport behind closed doors

first_imgTHE Barbados Motoring Federation (BMF) yesterday) confirmed that the green light has been given to restart motor sport, which has been on hold since the onset of the coronavirus pandemic. With guidance from BMF, the island’s seven clubs are drawing up plans for a staged return to competition next month, while Bushy Park Circuit Inc. (BPCI) has announced a Track Day at the St Philip facility this Sunday (June 28).In line with government protocols on mass gatherings, however, no spectators will be allowed, while the BMF has prepared detailed guidance for organisers and competitors to mitigate any risk of spreading COVID-19.These procedures are based on six key principles: government guidelines, good hygiene, social distancing, restriction, monitoring and education, training and resources.BMF vice-president Mark Hamilton said: “We are very pleased to be able to confirm that we are back in business, although in a limited way at first. Motor sport plays an important role in island life and everyone is keen to restart.“But we must manage its resumption in a responsible and risk averse manner in the ongoing COVID-19 environment; so no spectators will be allowed for the foreseeable future and there will be limitations on the number of personnel allowed to accompany each competitor.“The BMF will be working with all stakeholders in the sport in the coming weeks to determine when a full return to spectator participation might be possible, given ongoing changes to protocols, as government reacts to local, regional and international developments. We will publish further dates once the fluid situation becomes clearer.”Motor sport ceased with confirmation of the first COVID-19 case in the island shortly after the opening round of the Radical Caribbean Cup at Bushy Park on March 15.Before that, only three events on the BMF calendar had been run – the Barbados Association of Dragsters & Drifters (BADD) co-promotion at Bourbon with the St Lucy We Gatherin’ committee and the opening rounds of Barbados Rally Club (BRC) Autocross and Barbados Karting Association (BKA) Championships, both at Bushy Park. The BMF’s revised calendar lists a further 27 events, although it is not certain that all will run.After Sunday’s Track Day, which BPCI management hopes will attract a healthy turn-out of competitors eager to shake the rust off their machinery – and themselves – the first four events on the revised BMF calendar are: Sunday, July 5 – BKA; Saturday, July 18 – BRC Autocross Championship; Saturday/Sunday, July 25/26 – BRC MudDogs Safari Championship; Sunday, July 26 – Bushy Park Motor Sports Inc (BPMSI) Race Meet.Hamilton added: “The BMF consulted widely with our member clubs and the Ministry of Health and drew on guidelines prepared by the world governing body, FIA, and the National authorities in Australia and the UK. We acknowledge that, subject to ongoing restrictions, some disciplines will suffer longer delays before restarting.“Beyond that, those events which involve Regional and International competitors will be at the mercy of travel restrictions not only in Barbados, but also in each participant’s home country.”The BMF’s Event Organiser Toolkit includes signage promoting social-distancing and hygiene requirements, guidelines for competitors and officials, emergency response plans and checklists detailing mechanisms for deployment of equipment and personnel.All paperwork will be dealt with online, organisers of larger events will be required to submit COVID-19 venue plans outlining the maximum number of people permitted in buildings, individual offices and spectator areas, while arrangements are also under discussion to facilitate the media to ensure social-distancing requirements can be met.Editor’s note: Affiliated to the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA), which rules the sport worldwide, the Barbados Motoring Federation (BMF) is the island’s governing body for motor sport; it represents the interests of its seven member clubs in discussions with government departments which facilitate the sport in the island, in particular the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, which permits road closures for an agreed number of events each year.Away from motor sport, the BMF affiliate which answers the FIA Mobility remit is the Barbados Automobile Association (BAA), which is an executive committee member of the Government’s Barbados Road Safety Council.last_img read more