Students urged to apply early for SUSI grants to avoid delays

first_imgStudents thinking about third level education this September have been urged to get their SUSI student grant application in early in order to avoid the possibility of delays in having the grant approved. Applications for SUSI opened last Thursday, however, students who think they’re eligible for the financial support have been warned to submit their details on time.Cllr Liam Doherty said: “Application for SUSI opened to applicants last Thursday however, given that this coincided with the Easter holiday period, it’s likely that many students and their families overlooked it. “Of course, those hoping to start or return to third level education this September should make applying for the SUSI grant a priority, particularly given the importance of the payment to families and college goers at what is a very expensive time.“As many will be aware, the SUSI grant is means tested, so many students thinking of applying will probably need the help of their parents when filling out their applications.“Whether you’re a dependent, mature dependent or an independent will determine what income is taken into account for the purpose of determining if you are eligible for funding or not, so it’s important that applicants don’t put off getting their application in.“I’m therefore encouraging students and those returning to education to make their application as early as possible now and to make sure that all the information they supply is correct and up to date to avoid the possibility of the processing of their payment being delayed. “Anyone who is considering applying for student grant support should visit the SUSI website ‘susi.ie’, where they will be able to find all the information they need in relation to eligibility criteria, how to submit an application and where they can also monitor its progress once submitted.”Students urged to apply early for SUSI grants to avoid delays was last modified: May 5th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

DeGale given warning by opponent Davis

first_imgDyah Davis insists he is determined to shock James DeGale when they fight later this month.Harlesden’s Olympic gold medallist will be a strong favourite when he defends his WBC Silver super-middleweight title against the 32-year-old American at Glow, Bluewater, on 16 November.A victory would keep DeGale, 27, on course for a world title shot.But Davis, stopped in the 10th round by world champion Sakio Bika last year, says he has big ambitions of his own.“I most definitely want to show James what it’s like to be in the ring with a world-class opponent,” he said.“I was in with Sakio when I wasn’t in the best of form, I had an undisclosed injury that I didn’t share with anybody, but I took that fight feeling it was a great opportunity.“I was world ranked at number three and I went out there hoping to outclass my opponent and do well, but I re-aggravated the injury before I stepped out to the ring, so my confidence dropped.“But that is all behind me now, I have James DeGale in front of me and I’m looking to capitalise on this opportunity and come out victorious.“This is my opportunity to get back to world level This is a big stage. I’m very excited and very anxious to take it.”Tickets for James DeGale’s fight against Dyah Davis at Glow, Bluewater, on 16 November are priced from £40 and are available from the Hennessy Sports Box Office on 01925 755 222, at http://hennessy.ticketline.co.uk or alternatively by contacting Tickeline.co.uk or by phone on 0844 888 4402 or via Ticketmaster.co.uk or by phone on 0844 847 2500. See also:DeGale to take on American DavisDeGale out to prove a point against DavisInjury-free DeGale determined to impressAmerican Davis arrives for DeGale clashConfident DeGale predicts ‘explosive’ winDeGale must prove he is ready for world title shot, says promoterTrainer says DeGale is ‘a million per cent ready’ for world title challengeDeGale weighs in ahead of Davis clashUnderdog Davis is determined to cause an upset against DeGaleJames DeGale v Dyah Davis as it 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

SA to step up fight against rhino killers

first_img18 January 2012 The South African government is exploring ways of combating the increase in rhino poaching in the country, including the possibility of dehorning the animals, says Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa. About 24 rhinos have been killed in South Africa since the beginning of January, while figures from South African National Parks (SANParks) show that 448 rhinos were killed for their horns last year. The most affected areas were said to be the Limpopo and North West provinces.Demand from Asia Experts say the spike in poaching in Africa and South Asia was largely caused by increased demand for rhino horns in Asian traditional medicines. There are still many myths associated with the rhino horn in some Asian countries, such as China and Vietnam, where it is believed that the horn can heal fever, enhance sexual performance and reduce the chances of stroke. Molewa said it was clear that the authorities needed to up their game in curbing the poaching of rhinos. “It is clear that this is an organised crime, and in dealing with organised criminals, we need input and action from all South Africans.”Dehorning She said a study had indicated that the decision on whether or not to dehorn a rhino population depended on a number of factors, including the level of poaching threat, the availability of funds, and the size of the rhino population in question. “Due to the invasive nature of and expenses associated with dehorning, the intervention should only be considered under conditions of relatively severe poaching threat,” Molewa said. A continuing study commissioned by the government will also look into whether legalising the trade in rhino horn could help to bring down poaching.National Wildlife Reaction Unit Other measures include the establishment of the National Wildlife Reaction Unit, which the authorities are hoping will help in information sharing and curbing poaching in South Africa’s largest parks. Molewa said the South African National Defence Force has also been returned to monitor the 350 kilometres of the national border in the Kruger National Park. Most of the country’s rhinos are found in the Kruger Park, leading to many cases of poaching being reported there. While the alarming figures have raised concerns among animal rights groups and activists, SANParks said it was not yet time to press the panic button. According to the organisation’s CEO, David Mabuza, there are around 22 000 rhinos in South Africa, accounting for 93 percent of the world’s rhino population. The rhino population is said to be growing at a rate of six percent a year. “So while all of us should be worried, it should be noted that the killings have not yet threated the rhino population in general. But if we continue at this rate, we will start seeing a decline by 2015,” Mabuza said. Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

SA fires up first gas power plant

first_img24 July 2013 The largest power plant running exclusively on gas engines on the African continent, and the first of its kind in South Africa, was inaugurated at the Sasolburg, Free State site of petrochemicals company Sasol earlier this month. The electricity produced by the 140 MW plant will be used by Sasol’s chemicals factory next to the plant, with about half of the production being fed into South Africa’s national grid. “This plant is a significant milestone for Sasol, as we begin to ease our load on the national grid and contribute to our own energy efficiency targets,” Sasol Senior Group Executive Lean Strauss said in a statement marking the plant’s inauguration on 10 July. According to Sasol, the plant, which has consistently been producing above its operating capacity at 152 MW since commissioning in December 2012, will allow the company to generate 60% of its own power capacity, easing its reliance on the country’s grid. It will also enable Sasol to eventually reduce its CO2 emissions by a further one-million tonnes per annum. “This is a very successful project for Sasol New Energy, below budget and ahead of schedule,” said Sasol New Energy MD Henri Loubser. The plant was completed three months ahead of schedule and almost 20% below budget, with 500 jobs created during construction and 44 permanent jobs created in Sasolburg. According to Sasol, gas-powered plants require less time to build and install, taking between 20 to 30 months, opposed to the 40 to 50 months required for a coal-power plant and 60 to 80 months for a nuclear plant. Sasol’s new power plant is being operated and maintained by Finnish energy company Wartsila, which built and installed the plant’s gas engines, under a three-year agreement which includes the training of Sasol New Energy staff members. Wartsila, along with Sasol and Mozambican state power company Electricidade de Moçambique, are also involved in the construction of a similar gas-fuelled power power plant in Ressano Garcia in Mozambique. Sasol said this project was on schedule to start generating electricity as early as the second quarter of 2014. SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Agreement with China opens door for beef export expansion

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The White House announced last week that an agreement has been reached that will restore U.S. beef access to China.The Trump administration said that following one more round of technical consultations between the United States and China, China is to allow imports of U.S. beef on conditions consistent with international food safety and animal health standards and consistent with the 1999 Agricultural Cooperation Agreement, beginning as soon as possible but no later than July 16, 2017.“After being locked out of the world’s largest market for 13 years, we strongly welcome the announcement that an agreement has been made to restore U.S. beef exports to China. It’s impossible to overstate how beneficial this will be for America’s cattle producers, and the Trump Administration deserves a lot of credit for getting this achieved,” said Craig Uden, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association president. “We look forward to providing nearly 1.4 billion new customers in China with the same safe and delicious U.S. beef that we feed our families. I look forward to the day when we can serve President Trump and President Xi a dry-aged American-made New York strip in Beijing.”U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue hailed the agreement between the United States and China on several key trade issues, most notably the return of American beef to the Chinese market after a hiatus that began in 2004.“This is tremendous news for the American beef industry, the agriculture community, and the U.S. economy in general. We will once again have access to the enormous Chinese market, with a strong and growing middle class, which had been closed to our ranchers for a long, long time,” Perdue said. “I commend the persistence of President Trump, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, the U.S. Trade Representative’s officials, and our own USDA professionals. I also thank our Chinese counterparts, who worked so hard to get this agreement into place. When the Chinese people taste our high-quality U.S. beef, there’s no doubt in my mind that they’ll want more of it.”last_img read more