Syracuse football’s training camp begins July 30. Every day leading up to camp, The Daily Orange’s football beat writers will take a look at some of the upcoming season’s most pressing storylines, players and position battles. Read more on the Countdown to Camp here.For the second straight offseason, the questions surrounding Eric Dungey have nothing to do with his play.The junior quarterback averaged 297.7 passing yards per game and had 293 rushing yards for the season. He accounted for 21 touchdowns. Yet Dungey missed considerable time. For the second straight year, he missed the last three games of the season due to “upper-body injury.”Dungey took a step forward last year as a quarterback despite learning a new system from the year prior. His second year in Dino Babers up-tempo offense should help him solidify his spot in the upper echelon of Atlantic Coast Conference quarterbacks. The one hurdle he’ll have to overcome to get there is his health.Before last season, Dungey pledged to try to stay in the pocket more. In the second game of the season against Louisville, he tried hurdling a defender and got flipped over in the process. After the upset victory over Virginia Tech in mid-October, Babers’ said the offense needed Dungey’s running ability.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“At certain times, we’re willing to put him at risk,” Babers said at the postgame press conference, pausing before saying risk. “I would love to play a game where our quarterback never has to run the ball. I’d love to play a game where our quarterback never gets touched. And I have played games like that. But right now, at this time … we have to be calculated and we need his legs in our offense.”Jessica Sheldon | Staff PhotographerThe SU offense was much more dynamic with Dungey running, especially because there wasn’t much production from the running backs. With two big receiving weapons next year, and a still-young offensive line, it appears Dungey’s legs will still need to be a crucial component of the SU attack.There are some positives. For the second straight year, Dungey bulked up in the offseason before spring ball. And last year, he more often slid and ran out of bounds to avoid hits than he did in 2015. He will need to continue to do that consistently.But he missed the end of each of the past two seasons after taking shots to the head. Should the hits keep piling up, Dungey’s career could be in jeopardy.He seems poised to play at a high level this season. Based on his past, though, it’s unclear if he’ll be available for all of it. Comments Published on July 28, 2017 at 10:23 am Contact Tomer: [email protected] | @tomer_langer Facebook Twitter Google+
They meet at The City Ground at 3:15pmThe winners will pace Saracens for the title in Lyon next Month after they beat Wasps 24-17 in their all-English semi-final yesterday.
Incumbent Professor Francis Dodoo has been defeated in the race for president of the Ghana Olympic Committee (GOC).The President of the Ghana Weightlifting Association, Ben Nunoo Mensah, has been voted president beating Dodoo with five more votes.Dodoo was seeking to extend his mandate but the highly fancied Nunoo Mensah claimed the victory after the elections were held at the Alisa Hotel in Accra on Thursday.Mensah polled 33 votes of the total count to unseat Dodoo(28), who has been in office for five years.The elections was decided by delegates comprising two delegations each from the 23 Olympic sports federations, 15 from the non-Olympic sport and federations affiliated to the GOC, with two representatives of the Athletes Commission.The 1st vice president role went to Paul Atchoe of the Ghana Vollewball Federation (GVF) as he defeated incumbent Deborah Cubagee with Michael Nunoo and Evans Yeboah winning 2nd and 3rd Vice respectively. President of the Hockey Association, Richard Akpokavie retained his position as secretary general. Frederick Lartey Otu beat Christopher Essilfie for treasure while Theophilus Wilson Edzie of swimming Association pick up deputy treasure.
Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter ANAHEIM — JC Ramírez’s lost velocity proved to be a significant issue for the Angels, who on Thursday removed him from the roster.Ramírez, who was out of options, was outrighted. Because he’d been outrighted previously, he has a right to refuse the assignment to Triple-A Salt Lake and become a free agent.The Angels would like to keep him, in hopes of trying to get him back to level he was before Tommy John surgery.“If he were to go to Salt Lake, it would allow us to get him more regular work and hopefully that would aid in him returning to form,” Manager Brad Ausmus said. REMEMBERING SKAGGSChicago White Sox right-hander Lucas Giolito, a close friend and workout partner of Tyler Skaggs, will pitch on Friday at Angel Stadium for the first time since Skaggs’ death.“It’s been tough,” Giolito told reporters on Thursday. “Coming back here is a bit weird. … It would be much better if I can come out here and get some dinner like we were planning on doing, but it’s been tough.”Giolito, who was born in Santa Monica and attended Harvard-Westlake High, has been wearing Skaggs’ number on his cap. He returned to Santa Monica for Skaggs’ memorial service last month.“He was a great guy,” Giolito said. “A lot of things have been said about him over the past couple of months here but the biggest thing for me, the impact he left on me, was his attitude toward baseball, his attitude toward life. I carry a lot of that with me. It helped me, just the carefree, charismatic part. That’s who I am in our clubhouse. It’s definitely something I took from him when I was much younger.”ALSOAndrelton Simmons, who has a sprained ankle and bone bruise, said that he’s going to start swinging a bat on Saturday. Simmons still isn’t sure when he can return, though…Tommy La Stella, who broke his leg, said he’s been walking on a treadmill and running on an anti-gravity treadmill. He has been throwing. He said he’s not sure when he’ll be back, but the initial timeline had him returning in late August or early September. …Patrick Sandoval, a product of Mission Viejo High, on Friday will pitch for the first time at Angel Stadium, a park he said he attended about 50 times growing up as an Angels fan. He said he has at least 20 friends and another 20 family members that he knows will be at the game on Friday. …Related Articles Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Kevan Smith, on the injured list because of back spasms, said he feels like he could be ready to be activated when he’s eligible next Wednesday. Because the Angels are off next Thursday, though, he thinks they may wait until next Friday to activate him. …Luke Bard, out with a bruised triceps from being hit by a line drive, is expected to be activated in the next day or two. …Keynan Middleton is scheduled to pitch for Salt Lake on Friday. Middleton, who is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, is expected to pitch two or three times at Triple-A before being activated, barring any setbacks. …UP NEXTAngels (LHP Patrick Sandoval, 0-0, 5.59) vs. White Sox (RHP Lucas Giolito, 12-6, 3.42), 7:07 p.m., Fox Sports West Ramírez’s fastball averaged 95.5 mph in 2017, his breakthrough season as a starter. He pitched just twice in 2018 before needing surgery, and when he returned to the majors a few weeks ago, the velocity was still lacking. He averaged 91.0 mph in five games.Ausmus said Ramírez’s repertoire was there, but the fastball wasn’t.“I think the velocity difference was sizable,” Ausmus said. “The pitches themselves didn’t necessarily look that different other than the velocity change.”Ramírez had allowed four runs in eight innings. He said after he returned that he knew the velocity was lacking, but he figured it would come back with time. Ausmus said last weekend that it could return by next season.The Angels had a roster decision to make on Thursday, though, because Adalberto Mejia returned. He had been on the restricted list to attend to a personal matter. Once he returned, the Angels needed to put him on the active roster.
A former Catholic priest who in 2003 managed to avoid prosecution for allegedly sexually abusing children at churches in La Mirada and Pico Rivera was in custody Friday in connection with what authorities indicated is a separate child molestation case. Michael Stephen Baker, 58, was arrested at 2 p.m. Thursday at Los Angeles International Airport on suspicion of committing lewd acts with a child, said Sgt. Dan Scott of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Special Victims Bureau. The arrest “is in connection with the ongoing investigation into allegations of child molestation involving present and former Catholic priests in the Los Angeles Archdiocese,” the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement. An earlier criminal case against Baker was dismissed in 2003 because of a U.S. Supreme Court decision barring prosecution of decades-old sexual-abuse cases. Baker was arrested as he returned from a tour of Thailand and several other countries, Scott said. Investigators also searched Baker’s residences in Huntington Beach and La Mirada on Thursday. The District Attorney’s Office said a decision on charges will be made Monday, and an arraignment will be scheduled early next week. Baker’s bail was set at $1 million. The Los Angeles Times reported in October that investigators had opened a new probe into Baker, focusing on two brothers who said he molested them beginning in 1984, when they were 5 and 7, and continuing until 1999. The probe into those allegations had been hindered because the brothers now live in Mexico, but investigators obtained visas last spring so the brothers could be interviewed in Arizona. Officials would not confirm whether Baker’s arrest Thursday was in connection with the brothers’ allegations. Baker told Cardinal Roger Mahony in 1986 that he had molested children, according to the archdiocese and Baker. The archbishop did not alert police, but rather sent Baker for treatment, after which he was assigned to a series of nine other parishes. “Cardinal Mahony has already acknowledged and apologized for the mistakes made in handling Father Michael Baker,” the diocese noted in a 2004 report. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!