Saudi Arabia bid $194m for Joshua-Fury clash

first_imgRelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Saudi may have enough uranium deposits to make nuclear fuel – Reports Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Saudi Arabia has reportedly made a £150 million ($194 million) bid to host a heavyweight world championship fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury. The Sun newspaper in the UK cited comments from Joshua’s promotor Eddie Hearn as saying the Gulf kingdom would be prepared to spend big to host the boxing event as it continues to make its mark on the global sporting map. Despite the money, Joshua is understood to want the fight to take place in the UK if Fury snatches the WBC heavyweight title from US boxer Deontay Wilder on February 22. He was quoted as saying: “I think it has to be in the UK, to be fair, but I would never let a location get in the way of a mega fight. “The reason I always said I wanted Fury to win that fight is so we could put our fight on here but if he wants to do it in America then it makes sense for Wilder to win and then we do that fight there.” Joshua reclaimed his world heavyweight crown from Andy Ruiz in December, outclassing the Mexican-American to score a unanimous points victory in Saudi Arabia. Billed as the “Clash on the Dunes”, the eagerly anticipated rematch marked the first time a world heavyweight title fight had been staged in Saudi Arabia.Tags: Anthony JoshuaDeontay WilderSaudi ArabiaThe SunTyson Furylast_img read more

Joshua, Fury fight will happen in 2021 — Promoter

first_imgRelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight Anthony Joshua will lock horns with domestic rival Tyson Fury at the start of 2021, according to Matchroom chief Barry Hearn.The UK currently enjoys full control of the heavyweight division, with Joshua holding the WBA ‘Super’, WBO and IBF straps and Fury ripping the WBC title from Deontay Wilder ’s grasp in February. Since the Gypsy King did so, talk of an undisputed showdown between the British duo has surfaced.Fury must first get past Wilder again later this year, however, after the American activated the rematch clause in their contract, while Joshua is scheduled to face IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev.But Hearn, who recently recovered from a heart attack, believes a dream matchup between the pair is “95 per cent” certain to happen at the start of next year.“Anthony Joshua is probably the easiest boxer I have ever worked with, he literally will fight anybody and he is very keen on unifying the titles and Tyson has the missing belt,” the 71-year-old told Betfred.“Tyson is not afraid of anyone, at the same time, and he knows if he beats Joshua he will be an even bigger global figure. “The good news about this pile-up of global sport events is that there will be competition for airtime when sport returns and people will not pay for tick-over contests.“I think we have an excellent chance of seeing that fight, I would say 50-50 it is this year and, if it is not this year, then it’s 95-5 for early 2021.”Joshua recently threw down the gauntlet to Fury, insisting he needs to get the better of him to be considered the No.1 fighter in the division.“Come fight me, you really want to say you’re No 1, come fight me,” he told Sky Sports.“Let’s get it on, I’ve got the rest of the belts so it only makes sense.” Tags: Anthony JoshuaBarry HearnDeontay WilderTyson Furylast_img read more