South Carolina Ports Authority (SCPA) has reported record container volumes handled during the 2018 fiscal year. SCPA’s container throughput was 2.2 million twenty-foot equivalent container units (TEUs) in FY 2018, an increase of three percent over the previous fiscal year.What is more, the port authority saw 201,163 TEUs in June, the single highest month for container volume in SCPA’s history and a 10 percent increase over June 2017. June was a strong finish to the port’s fiscal year, which began in July.As measured in pier containers, or the number of boxes that moved across the docks of SCPA’s two container terminals, the port handled 115,696 containers in June and a total of 1.25 million containers in FY2018.“June container volumes were exceptional, marking the first time our port has handled more than 200,000 TEUs in a single month,” Jim Newsome, SCPA president and CEO, commented.“We achieved the three highest months of container volume in the port’s history in March, May and June. As compared to FY2010, SCPA has grown by over 900,000 TEUs for a compound annual growth rate of seven percent. Such growth is a significant accomplishment that reflects a broad expansion of the port’s cargo base, the commitment of our staff and the overall success of our maritime community,” Newsome added.Established in 1942, SCPA owns and operates public seaport facilities in Charleston, Dillon, Georgetown and Greer. Last month, the port authority approved USD 277.6 million capital plan — the largest in SCPA’s history — for projects supporting terminal modernization, capacity increase and intermodal volume growth.
The Russian sports minister says it’s time for international authorities to “turn a new page” and forget the country’s Olympic doping ban because of the coronavirus pandemic.The World Anti-Doping Agency barred Russia from the Olympics for four years after ruling last year that doping data from a Moscow laboratory had been manipulated. The Court of Arbitration for Sport is to rule on whether the ban is valid but hearings have been delayed because of the health crisis.Sports Minister Oleg Matytsin says the virus outbreak means the parties in the legal proceedings should avoid a ruling against Russia because it would fracture the Olympic movement.He adds that “when you see that everyone is isolated and everyone is at home … people understand that now there are priorities and there are issues which go on the backburner. The priority is the future of the Olympic movement.”Matytsin says sanctioning Russia would damage the Olympic movement and says the country is prepared to host more international sports events once the virus outbreak recedes. Associated Press ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 April 10, 2020 The son of former NFL lineman Tony Boselli says in a first-person account he wrote for Florida State’s athletic department website that he dealt with the worst of the virus for about three days.The Seminoles’ lineman wrote that he wants “everyone to know just how hard it was. I spent days feeling miserable” and his healthy 47-year-old father with no underlying health conditions “spent three days in the intensive care unit.”Tony Boselli is now back home and Andrew Boselli says he and his family are recovering from the massive scare. He says his brother and mother also dealt with the virus.Andrew Boselli says he’s looking forward to being around fellow students and teammates again but added a word of caution by writing “the only way for that to happen is listen to the experts and follow their guidance.”___ The Latest: Andrew Boselli details his virus experiences Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Florida State offensive lineman Andrew Boselli says he had the coronavirus and detailed some of what his famous father went through in his own fight against COVID-19. Turkmenistan is set to restart its suspended soccer league amid the coronavirus pandemic.The Central Asian nation will become part of a small group of countries around the world where professional soccer is being played despite the virus outbreak. That includes the former Soviet nations of Belarus and Tajikistan, as well as Burundi and Nicaragua.The eight-team Turkmenistan league was suspended on March 24. The national soccer federation says it will resume on April 19. Fans will be allowed to attend games.Turkmenistan has not reported any cases of the coronavirus.___
Tipperary’s Dean Gardiner is in action today at the European Olympic qualifiers in Baku. The Clonmel man will take on a Ukrainian opponent in the Super Heavyweight division quarter final this afternoon….Also fighting today is Michael O’Neill who faces a Mongolian opponent in the last 16 of the Middleweight division