Prosecutor admits blocking enquiry into murder of journalist Slavko Curuvija

first_img Reporters Without Borders called on Serbia-Montenegro authorities today to investigate the confessions of a state prosecutor arrested for having underworld ties that he blocked the enquiry into the 1999 murder of Slavko Curuvija (photo), publisher of the newspapers Dnevni Telegraf and Evropljanin.”At a time when the weaknesses of the legal system are clear for all to see, when the prosecutor who obstructed the enquiry is suspended and Serbia-Montenegro will soon become the 45th member of the Council of Europe, we hope the shameless impunity enjoyed by Curuvija’s killers will soon end,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard.He called on prime minister Zoran Zivkovic and interior minister Dusan Mihajlovic to do all they could to find those who killed the journalist and put them on trial.Under the state of emergency declared on 12 March after the assassination of prime minister Zoran Djindjic, deputy state prosecutor Milan Sarajlic was suspended and arrested, along with other legal officials thought to be linked with underworld figures. The interior ministry said Sarajlic had confessed during his detention to working with the powerful Zemun gang and to actively obstructing the Curuvija murder probe. State prosecutor Sinisa Simic, who was in charge of the enquiry, was sacked on 21 March.Curuvija was shot dead by two masked men in front of his Belgrade home on 11 April 1999 as he arrived there with his wife. He had been constantly harassed for his critical writings about the regime of President Slobodan Milosevic.In March 2001, some Belgrade media said police knew who murdered him and who had ordered the killing. They said the actual killer was dead, the mastermind would soon be arrested and that the murder had no links with state security officials. But his widow said state security officials were protecting the mastermind.Djordje Martic, former editor of newspaper Ekspres Politika, said on 14 April 2001 that an article that appeared in the paper on 6 April 1999, a few days before the murder, accusing him of being a traitor and in favour of the NATO military attack, had been written on the orders of Milosevic’s wife, Mirjana Markovic, head of the leftist party Yugoslavia. March 31, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Prosecutor admits blocking enquiry into murder of journalist Slavko Curuvija News Europe – Central Asia Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia Organisation News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan to go further “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Receive email alertscenter_img News Europe – Central Asia June 8, 2021 Find out more News Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says June 4, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en June 7, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Garda statistics show drop in Limerick property crime

first_imgNewsCrime & CourtGarda statistics show drop in Limerick property crimeBy David Raleigh – October 17, 2019 211 Print Previous articleNews Roundup 19 October, 2019Next articleCocaine epidemic is biggest problem facing Limerick Gardaí David Raleigh Twitter “PROPERTY CRIME”, more commonly known as burglary, robbery and theft, is down by ten per cent in Limerick City and County, according to the latest local Garda crime statistics.The breakdown across districts showed a “sizeable drop” in Bruff where Gardaí recorded a 42 per cent decrease in burglaries, thefts and robbery.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In Newcastle West property crime dropped by 12 per cent, from 335 to 294 incidents.In Bruff the number of recorded incidents was reduced from from 205 to 119.In the Roxboro Road Garda area, the figure had reduced by 14 per cent from 794 incidents to 679, and there was also a four per cent reduction in property crime in the Henry Street Garda area (from 1784 to 1712).“Across the board there were drops everywhere with regard to property crime, and that includes your burglary element in it. It is quiet positive,” Senior Crime and Policing Analyst Lynda Breen told a meeting of the Limerick Joint Policing Committee.She said that there has been a 17 per cent reduction in non-aggravated burglaries.In Newcastle West, Bruff, and Henry Street Garda areas there was a reduction in non-aggravated burglaries however in Roxboro Road there was a three per cent increase.Crimes Against the Person, including murder, murder threats, and assaults, dropped by four per cent across the city and county. Linkedincenter_img Facebook Email WhatsApp Advertisementlast_img read more