More Rain in the Week AheadRyan MartinHAT Chief Meteorologist Ryan Martin says the good news is that we’re ahead of schedule with planting in many parts of the state. The bad news is that if you’re not done, good planting windows might be hard to come by in the near-term.“We’re going to put together about 3.5 days of rain back-to-back-to-back. Our next dry window comes in late Monday afternoon going through Tuesday, but that’s going to be about it.”Martin projects rain totals over the next few days to be anywhere between a quarter inch to maybe an inch and a half if we see thunderstorms. He says most of the state will see rain at least a couple of times between now and Monday afternoon.“Mid-week next week brings another chance of rain. Totals probably a few hundredths of an inch all the way up to 3 quarters in the right spot with coverage about 70 percent. And then we actually see another weather system trying to come in as we go into the first part of the Memorial Day holiday weekend. We’ll follow that up with another system, maybe, as we get toward June 4 or so. So, we see slightly bigger windows of opportunity the farther out we go in the forecast window. We also think those windows of opportunity could close as we get closer to them.”This week’s planting forecast made possible by First Farmers Bank and Trust, Proudly Serving Local Farmers, and by Kokomo Grain. By Eric Pfeiffer – May 17, 2018 Facebook Twitter Previous articlePurdue Dean Plaut Excited to Work on Initiatives Like Digital AgricultureNext articleRyan Martin’s Indiana Ag Forecast for May 18, 2018 Eric Pfeiffer Home Indiana Agriculture News More Rain in the Week Ahead More Rain in the Week Ahead SHARE Facebook Twitter SHARE
Burkina FasoAfrica News Burkina FasoAfrica A Ouagadougou appeal court on 16 August upheld an investigating judge’s decision to dismiss all charges in the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo. A judicial source told AFP that the appeal court refused to consider the Zongo family’s appeal against the ruling, claiming that the “investigating judge did his job well.”The judge’s decision, issued on 19 July, had been criticised by many human rights groups, civil society organisations and opposition parties. Reporters Without Borders will continue to campaign for justice to be done.————————–14.08.2006 – Appeal court urged to overturn judge’s decision to dismiss charges in Zongo murderReporters Without Borders today called on the Ouagadougou appeal court to overturn an investigating judge’s decision to dismiss all charges in the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo, saying it was manifestly the result of “irresistible political pressure” and “clearly violates the code of criminal procedure.”It was Zongo’s family that brought the appeal against investigating judge Wenceslas Ilboudo’s 19 July decision to dismiss charges against Marcel Kafando “and X” (meaning “other undetermined persons”). It is due to be heard on 16 August.“Saying there are no grounds for proceeding against ‘Marcel Kafando and X’ clearly violates the code of criminal procedure as the proceedings were initiated in a case of murder and it is logically impossible to clear ‘X’ as well as Kafando and thereby close the case,” Reporters Without Borders said.Zongo was an investigative journalist and editor of the weekly L’Indépendant. His charred body was found in his car, along with the bodies of three other people, on 13 December 1998. Kafando was one of three members of the Presidential Security Battalion (BSP) who were later convicted in connection with a murder Zongo had been investigating at the time of his death.“The case cannot be closed simply because eight years later a witness retracts a statement that undermined a suspect’s alibi,” Reporters Without Borders continued. “It is one thing for charges to be dropped against Kafando for lack of evidence. But the judicial authorities must continue to look for ‘X.’ If they do not, it will be clear that the Zongo case was closed for purely political reasons.”The press freedom organisation added: “We call on Judge Ilboudo to admit he yielded to irresistible political pressure that ended up making his work impossible. When a representative of our organisation met him on 14 September 2005 at the Ouagadougou lawcourts, he expressed the personal conviction that Kafando and the BSP were involved in the Zongo murder and said he would do everything in his power to find the evidence. But he also spoke of the difficulties he was having, given the ‘law of silence’ surrounding the BSP.”As a result of this conversation, Reporters Without Borders wrote an open letter to President Blaise Compaoré on 25 October 2005, the opening day of the recent presidential election campaign.The letter said: “Investigating judge Wenceslas Ilboudo has tried to get all the witnesses to finally tell the whole truth. But without success. They fear for their safety if they break the law of silence. So the investigation has ground to a complete halt. Reporters Without Borders therefore asks you to appeal publicly to the witnesses in the Zongo case to speak without fear. This case will not progress if you do not give the witnesses your assurance that you will support them if they talk, and that you undertake to protect them.” Receive email alerts Two Spanish journalists killed in eastern Burkina Faso RSF_en News June 7, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Burkina Faso A Ouagadougou appeal court on 16 August upheld an investigating judge’s decision to dismiss all charges in the 1998 murder of journalist Norbert Zongo. A judicial source told AFP that the appeal court refused to consider the Zongo family’s appeal against the ruling, claiming that the “investigating judge did his job well.” May 5, 2021 Find out more French reporter says he has been kidnapped in northeastern Mali Time is pressing, 20 years after Burkinabe journalist’s murder News August 17, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Appeal court upholds judge’s decision to drop all charges in Zongo case to go further Organisation News Help by sharing this information April 27, 2021 Find out more
NewsBreaking newsLimerick Gardai very concerned over welfare of missing teenBy Staff Reporter – October 6, 2015 693 Previous articleRugby – Munster name ‘A’ side to face Leinster ‘A’Next articleGAA – Audio – Patrickswell’s Ciaran Carey previews Limerick SHC final against Na Piarsaigh Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE whereabouts of a missing teenager in Limerick is something that gardai say they are “very concerned” aboutGardai are now concerned for the welfare of teenager Adam Dunne who went missing in Limerick city on Monday night.They have now issued a public appeal for assistance in locating the 15-year old.Adam was last seen around 7pm on Roxboro Road, Limerick city on Monday night.He is described as being 5’9″ tall, of slim build with light brown hair.He has blue/green eyes.When last seen the teen was wearing a grey tracksuit bottoms, a grey hoodie top, a navy t-shirt with a grey collar and black runners.Anyone who has seen Adam or has information that can assist in locating him is asked to telephone Roxboro Road Garda Station at 061 214340, the Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station. Twitter Facebook Email Advertisement Print Linkedin
Credit: Sheng JiongStagecoach has filed a claim at the UK’s High Court in London“The… claim that has been issued and the further legal actions under preparation vary in certain respects but common to all is our refusal to accept the potential pension risks that the DfT requires operators to bear in relation to the three new franchises,” Stagecoach said. “The full extent of these risks is unknown but we estimate them to be well in excess of £1bn.”Railpen had £27.5bn assets at the end of December 2017, according to its latest annual report, but did not report its liabilities. At the time it catered for more than 340,000 members and had 169 sponsoring employers.The pension scheme has traditionally been guaranteed by the state, but Stagecoach has accused the DfT of trying to transfer ultimate responsibility for funding the deficit onto railway operators.In a letter sent in April to Frank Field, chair of the UK parliament’s Work and Pensions Select Committee, Stagecoach CEO Martin Griffiths accused the DfT of being “reckless” and “constantly changing position” regarding pension funding rules.In a statement on 2 May, Stagecoach claimed that the UK’s Pensions Regulator had estimated that Railpen had a £7.5bn shortfall and was “seeking significant additional contributions to the scheme which are as yet unquantified”.Griffiths said this week that “fundamental questions” remained unanswered surrounding franchise bidders’ exposure to pension funding risk. “In view of the legal action we have taken today we believe it would be untenable for the DfT to proceed to sign any contract for the East Midlands franchise without a full and proper review of the procurement of that franchise to help restore public confidence in the process,” he said.‘Railpen funding is everyone’s responsibility’Abellio, which already operates four UK railway routes, said ensuring that Railpen was fully funded had been an “ongoing responsibility for everyone involved in running the railway” for “many decades”.In a statement issued on 8 May the company said: “Abellio is working constructively with the pension trustees, Rail Delivery Group, employee representatives, the Department for Transport and the Pensions Regulator to maintain the pension scheme for the long term.“Abellio, along with many other multinational organisations who have submitted compliant bids for current competitions, are satisfied that the protection mechanism put in place by the Department for Transport suitably balances all parties’ risk.”In a letter to Frank Field and Lillian Greenwood, chair of parliament’s Transport Committee, the transport minister Chris Grayling said no new or additional demands had been placed on franchise bidders.He also stated that companies bidding for the East Midlands route were made fully aware of the funding position and requirements, as well as the involvement of the Pensions Regulator, and were permitted to resubmit bids in September last year in light of the information. In addition, Stagecoach said it was preparing separate legal claims against the DfT relating to its decisions on the franchises for the West Coast and South Eastern routes. It also said it would seek a judicial review of the process for the East Midlands route. A UK transport company is suing the government over its decision to ban it from bidding for three lucrative rail franchises.Stagecoach’s bids to run railway services on three routes in England were all rejected by the Department for Transport (DfT) after the company opposed a requirement to contribute to the Railways Pension Scheme (Railpen). Stagecoach has claimed it would have to shoulder more than £1bn (€1.2bn) of potential pension costs to comply with the department’s bidding rules.The group announced on 8 May that it had issued a claim in the UK’s High Court in London alleging that the transport ministry had “breached its statutory duties… in connection with the procurement of the new East Midlands rail franchise”.The franchise was officially awarded to Abellio – part of Dutch transport firm Nederlandse Spoorwegen – earlier this week.