first_imgUSL Results & Reports 01.09.13Donegal League Cup Semi-FinalsDrumkeen Utd. 3 1 Swilly Rovers Cockhill Celtic 3 0 Finn Harps Res.4 Lanterns USLDerry City Res. 6 2 Fanad Utd.  DPD Division 1Drumkeen Utd. 2 8 Letterkenny Rovers Reports Cockhill Reach FinalCockhill Celtic 3Finn Harps Res. 0 Cockhill proved to strong for Finn Harps in a game played in very blustery conditions. IN the 1st minute Cockhill nearly got off to a dream start when after a free flowing move involving many players Jimmy Bradley crossed for Connor Keedy to head against the Harps post. Cockhill with aid of the wind pressed Finn Harps back for the majority of the 1st half and almost took a deserved lead when Mal Mc Dermott shot from distance brought a fine save from the Harps keeper. From the resulting corner Gerry Gills cross was met at the front post by Mark Moran to give Cockhill a 1-0 lead. A minute later a fine run from Kieran Mc Laughlin set Gerry Gill up but his shot flew over. A few other half chances fell Cockhill’s way before the half time whistle but they failed to add to their advantage. Cockhill doubled their lead on the 51st minute when Gerry Gill beat 3 defenders and his low cross was deflected for a own goal by a unlucky Harps defender. 2-0 to Cockhill. Finn Harps changed their shape after this a dominated for a period but with Oisin Mc Colgan & Johnny Havlin in excellent form in the heart of Cockhill’s defence chances were few & far between for Harps. Liam O Donnell & Malachy Mc Dermott put in 2 massive performances driving Cockhill forward throughout the game and it came to no surprise when Cockhill got a 3rd on the 79th minute when Mark Moran fed Jimmy Bradley who slotted home. 3-0 Cockhill. This ended the game as a contest and the last 10 minutes the game petered out.   Drumkeen End Swilly HopesDrumkeen Utd. 3Swilly Rovers 1 The semi final played in St.Patrick’s park was played in windy conditions which made it hard for both teams. The vistors opened well and forced a corner very early in the game. The short corner which resulted in a low cross to Michael McHugh was a brillant routine and forced a save from Paul McCauley in the Drumkeen net. The home side’s first real chance came when Richie Moore did very well beating two men and slipped the ball to Conor Carlin who fired his shot straight at Wade Carson. Mark Marley had a chance to open the scoring when his shot from distance was deflected for a corner.The run in to half time was an even contest with Drumkeen and Swilly having their fair share of chances but despite their best efforts the game went into halftime scoreless.The second half really picked up where the first left off with both teams trying to break through but not getting that last ball delivered, Drumkeen thought they had done it when a brilliant bit of football brought them into the box but Carlin was tackled at the very last by Dylan Hegarty. Swilly broke quickly and earned a free inside the centre circle which was hit quick and went to Ronan Curtis who rounded Paul McCauley and fired into the back of the net to break the dead lock. The goal really gave Drumkeen a wake up call and after the introduction of Eunan Kelly and Chris McBride the equilser came when Conor Carlin squared the ball to Eunan Kelly who shot straight into the back of the net. The home side took control after they scored and Packie Mailey had a chance to put them ahead but his header was put over by Wade Carson. David Shovlin put the home side ahead when Benny Bonner ran down the left and played a short pass to David Shovlin who took a step inside and fired into the bottom corner. Ronan Curtis had a chance to level the game after a long ball was set up for him by his brother Blaine but he fired well over. Seami “Nanni” Friel wrapped the game up after he played a pass out wide to Eunan Kelly, Kelly then squared the ball and Friel finished off the move he started off the see Drumkeen into the final.Drumkeen now advance to a meeting with title rivals, Cockhill Celtic to be played on Sunday, September 15th. DPD Division 1Big Win For RoversDrumkeen Utd. Res. 2Letterkenny Rovers Res. 8The game was played at St. Patrick’s Park started with the visitors coming out with a strong outfit and opening the scoring when Chris Malseed played a perfectly weighted ball out wide to Odhran McMacken who squared the Ball to Darren McElwaine and the striker who will represent the Ulster Senior League in the Inter Pros made no mistake in putting the ball into the back of the net. McElwaine turned to provider for his team mate for the Inter Pros squad Oisin McMenamin when he crossed low for him and he converted from close range. Drumkeen battled back hard and a well delivered free kick from Liam McGill resulted in Cathal Doyle pulling one back for the home side. McMacken playing out the right was a real threat and scored a goal after a heavy touch took him straight through the Drumkeen defence and he slotted the ball past Michael Gibson in the Drumkeen net however a clash with the keeper forced him off. Oisin McMenamin got a second after a mistake from Michael Gibson led to him having no trouble in slotting it home to make it four for Rovers. McMenamin put a chance on a plate for Chris Malseed who missed from very close range with the keeper nowhere to be seen. The run up to half time was a tight battle but neither added to their tally and Rovers went up 4 goals to 1. Drumkeen introduced Lee Guthrie and Aaron Doherty at half time and both asked a lot of questions of the Letterkenny defence but Kieran Gorman and Anthony Doherty proved too solid to break through. Drumkeen made another change when Cathal Doyle was forced off through injury and substitute Gerard Bonner made his impact almost immediately when Lee Guthrie’s shot was saved by Letterkenny keeper was put away with Bonner’s first touch of the game. Letterkenny were quick to reply however and scored again almost straight from the tip with Oisin McMenamin completing his hat trick. Trevor Scanlon who came on at left back got his name on the score sheet when he made a run up the pitch and received a cross from Kevin O’Donnell and put the ball past the Drumkeen keeper. Letterkenny pushed hard a forced an own goal form Drumkeen. Letterkenny finally finished the scoring when Oisin Grant put the eighth goal into the Drumkeen net.  Fixtures4 Lanterns USLMonday, September 2nd at 8pmFanad Utd. v Bonagee Utd.Ref. J. McHughWednesday, Sept. 4th at 6:30pmLetterkenny Rovers v Derry City Res.Ref. T. McAreeThursday, Sept. 5th at 6:45pmKildrum Tigers v Finn Harps Res.Ref. C. McLaughlinSunday, Sept. 8th at 2pmLetterkenny Rovers v Cockhill CelticP. CollSwilly Rovers v Drumkeen utd.Ref. V. McLaughlinSaturday, Sept. 7th at 2pmKildrum Tigers Res. v Drumkeen Utd. Res.Ref. T. McAree The USL Inter Pro squad will take on Finn Harps on Tuesday night in Finn Park, kick-off at 8pm. All players are asked to be at Finn Park for 6:45pm.Ryan Gildea, Benny Bonner, Conor Carlin, David Shovlin, Seamus “Nanni” Friel (Drumkeen Utd.) Jonathon Minnock, Oisin McMenamin, Darren McElwaine (Letterkenny Rovers) Oisin McColgan, Johnny Havlin, Garbhan Friel, Jimmy Bradley, Malachy McDermott, Gerry Gill, Gavin Cullen (Cockhill Celtic) Seamus Houghton, Josh Tracey, Georgie Kelly (Derry City Res.) Darren Cassidy, Paddy McLaughlin (Kildrum Tigers).  SOCCER: COCKHILL AND DRUMKEEN TO MEET IN LEAGUE CUP FINAL was last modified: September 1st, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *