Feyenoord striker Robin van Persie revealed how he’s looking forward to his retirement from football but refused to rule out returning one day as a coachThe 35-year-old has enjoyed a remarkable career that saw him star in the Premier League for 11 seasons at Arsenal and Manchester United.Van Persie left the English top-flight in 2015 for Turkish giants Fenerbahce after managing an impressive tally of 144 goals and 65 assists in 280 league games along with one title.As of January 2018, Van Persie has since been playing his football at boyhood club Fenerbahce where he scored in their 3-0 KNVB Cup final win over AZ Alkmaar last season.But the Dutchman announced in October that he will likely call time on his successful career in June and appears to be looking forward to the prospect of being the coach of his own life.“I was on a good holiday in Dubai – 12 days with friends and family,” Van Persie told NOS.“Nemanja Vidic was there as well. He has been retired for three and a half years and said very fittingly: ‘When you retire, you have to be the coach of your own life’.Solskjaer praises Harry Maguire after Man United’s 1-0 win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer singled out Harry Maguire for praise after helping Manchester United keep a clean sheet in their 1-0 win over Leicester City.“Everything is arranged for [players], a team manager and a coach tell you what to do, we are just children often going on school trips.“If that disappears, you have to become the coach of your own life. Is that difficult when your whole life is thought out for you? Yes, but I’m going to try it.DOETINCHEM, NETHERLANDS – AUGUST 12: Robin van Persie of Feyenoord looks on during the Eredivisie match between De Graafschap and Feyenoord at Stadion De Vijverberg on August 12, 2018 in Doetinchem, Netherlands. (Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images)“I won’t have to do anything anymore, I’m going to swim, play table tennis, tennis, football. I like that a lot. Then when there is a time I can’t do anything, without thinking: there will be another competition soon.”The former Arsenal star revealed he’s held talks with Dutch Football Association director Eric Gudde over getting his coaching badges.“I think [coaching] is nice, but I don’t know,” added Van Persie.“I had contact with Eric Gudde and he provided options for my eventual trajectory, but nothing has been decided yet.”Despite entering what will likely be his last season, Van Persie shows no signs of slowing down with seven goals and three assists in 13 Eredivisie appearances for Feyenoord.
Brandon Holley is returning to print magazines. After a stint as editor-in-chief and business lead of Yahoo! Shine, Condé Nast has named her editor-in-Chief of Lucky magazine, replacing Kim France. From 2005 to 2007 Holley served as editor-in-chief of Condé Nast’s Jane, and launched ELLEgirl in 2001.Several editorial hires have been made at O, the Oprah Magazine: Lauren Kern was appointed executive editor, Michelle Shih was named director of digital editions and lifestyle, Raha Naddaf was named senior editor and Adam Bell was appointed managing editor.Hearst announced a pair of personnel changes at the U.S. edition of Marie Claire: Alison Edmond was named fashion editor-at-large and Elise Nersesian-Solé as articles editor. Harper’s Bazaar appointed Brian Garnock associate publisher of advertising. Most recently, Garnock served as vice president of advertising at the New York Times.Meredith’s Fitness announced the addition of three new editors: Lisa Haney was named senior fitness editor, Jenna Autouri was appointed fitness editor, and April Franzino was named associated beauty editor.Advanstar Communications appointed Steve Sturm chief marketing officer. Sturm previously served as group vice president of Americas Strategic Research and Planning.Fader Media named Thomas Kay creative director. Previously, Kay headed New York magazine’s Intelligencer section.Brian Hoffman was named executive vice president and chief creative officer of Hoffman Media. Most recently he served as the company’s vice president of brand management.Niche Media founder and CEO Jason Binn was appointed chief advisor to Kevin Ryan, chairman of online fashion and travel retailer the Gilt Groupe. In this role, Binn will lend support to the company’s “continued efforts to nurture and develop relationships with the world’s most prestigious brands.”Financial services publisher SourceMedia named Jim Moore managing director of research and data, heading the company’s new syndicated research and data business. Previously, Moore served as chairman and CEO of Highline Financial.Amy DiTullio was named site director at HarpersBazaar.com. Most recently, DiTullio served as online managing editor at Women’s Wear Daily.Hearst’s Redbook announced a number of additions to its editorial team: Jennifer Tung was named deputy editor, Katherine Van Itallie was named art director, Jihan Thompson was appointed articles editor and Erin Hobday was named health director.
A baul singer has allegedly been gang raped after being invited to a musical show in Ashulia, on the outskirts of capital.Being informed by locals, police rescued the woman, hailing from Narayanganj, from a house at Ashulia on Thursday.When the victim was taken to Ashulia police station she filed a case. Later police arrested two people – Abdur Razzak, 40 and Ataur Rahman, 42- from Aukpara area.Officer-in-charge of Ashulia police station Abdul Awal said a female singer with whom the victim got acquainted about a month ago invited her to the musical show on Wednesday night.When the victim reached the house as per the instruction of the female singer, eight-ten people confined her to a room and raped her overnight, the OC said.The victim was sent to One Stop Crisis Centre at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Logo of BNPBNP on Monday briefed foreign diplomats stationed in Dhaka about the outcome of the two-phase dialogue with the ruling alliance and the party’s various concerns about the 11th parliamentary elections, reports UNB.BNP standing committee member Abdul Moyeen Khan, on behalf of the party, also apprised the diplomats of the party’s various observations on the country’s latest political situation at a closed-door meeting at BNP chairperson’s Gulshan office, said party insiders.BNP chairperson’s adviser Sabihuddin Ahmed said they briefed the foreign envoys about the country’s latest political situation.He said the meeting began around 4pm and continued for an hour.BNP organising secretary Shama Obaed said diplomats from around 35 countries, including the USA, the UK, EU, UN, Canada, India, Pakistan, China, Japan, France, Germany and Switzerland, joined the briefing.BNP standing committee members Rafiqul Islam Miah, Gayeshwar Chandra Roy and Nazrul Islam Khan, and chairperson’s adviser Sabihuddin Ahmed were, among others, present at the meeting.Shama said the BNP leaders talked about the country’s overall situation, dialogue over the election and other political issues.Wishing anonymity, a BNP leader who was present at the meeting told UNB they informed the diplomats that though they held talks with the prime minister-led 14-party alliance twice to reach a political consensus aiming to ensure a credible election, the dialogue outcome is almost zero due to the government’s ‘rigid’ stance and non-compromising attitude.They also told the foreign envoys that their party and alliances have decided to join the election for the sake of democracy, but the government and the election commission are not taking any step for ensuring a level-playing field and holding an acceptable election.The BNP leaders also talked about the continued arrest of BNP leaders and activists in ‘fictitious’ cases despite the prime minister’s assurance to stop it.”We also informed the diplomats about the election commission’s biased role in announcing the election schedule and rescheduling it,” he said.The BNP leader said they also shared their various concerns about the election.He said the foreign envoys appreciated BNP for their decision to join the election and hoped that democracy will be consolidated in Bangladesh through a fair election.
“Having a mobile facility that allows us to bring realistic cyberattack preparation and rehearsal to a larger, global audience will be a game changer in our mission to improve incident response efforts for organizations around the world.”-Caleb Barlow, vice president of Threat Intelligence at IBM Security Yesterday (On 15th October), IBM Security announced the industry’s first mobile Security Operations Center- ‘The IBM X-Force Command Cyber Tactical Operations Center’ (C-TOC). This mobile command center hosted at the back of a semi truck will travel around the U.S and Europe for cybersecurity training, preparedness, and response operations. The aim of this project is to provide an on-demand cybersecurity support, while building cybersecurity awareness and skills with professionals, students and consumers. Cybercriminals are getting smarter by the day and cyber crimes are becoming sophisticated by the hour. It is necessary for organizations to plan and rehearse their response to potential security breaches in advance. According to the 2018 Cost of a Data Breach Study, companies that respond to incidents effectively and remediate the event within 30 days can save over $1 million on the total cost of a data breach. Taking this into consideration, the C-TOC has the potential to provide immediate onsite support for clients at times when their cybersecurity needs may arise. The mobile vehicle is modeled after Tactical Operations Centers used by the military and incident command posts used by first responders. It comes with a gesture-controlled cybersecurity “watch floor,” data center and conference facilities. It has self-sustaining power, satellite and cellular communications, which will provide a sterile and resilient network for investigation, response and serve as a platform for cybersecurity training. Source: IBM Source: IBM Here are some of the key takeaways that individuals can benefit from, from this mobile Security Operations center: #1 Focus on Response Training and Preparedness The C-TOC will simulate real world scenarios to depict how hackers operate- to help companies train their teams to respond to attacks. The training will cover key strategies to protect business and its resources from cyberattacks. #2 Onsite Cybersecurity Support The C-TOC is mobile and can be deployed as an on-demand Security Operation Center. It aims to provide a realistic cybersecurity experience in the industry while visiting local universities and industries to build interest in cybersecurity careers and to address other cybersecurity concerns. #3 Cyber Best Practices Laboratory The C-TOC training includes real world examples based on experiences with customers in the Cambridge Cyber Range. Attack scenarios will be designed for teams to participate in. The challenges are designed keeping in mind various pointers like: working as a team to mitigate attacks, thinking as a hacker, hands- on experience with a malicious toolset and much more #4 Supplementary Cybersecurity Operations The IBM team also aims to spread awareness on the cybersecurity workforce shortage that is anticipated soon. With an expected shortfall of nearly 2 million cybersecurity professionals by 2022, it is necessary to educate the masses about careers in security as well as help upskill current professionals in cybersecurity. This is one of the many initiatives taken by IBM to bring about awareness about the importance of mitigating cyber attacks in time. Back in 2016, IBM invested $200 million in new incident response facilities, services and software, which included the industry’s first Cyber Range for the commercial sector. By real world simulation of cyber attacks and training individuals to come up with advanced defense strategies, the SOC aims to get a realistic cyberattack preparation and rehearsal to a larger, global audience. To know more about this news as well as the dates that the C-TOC will tour the U.S. and Europe, head over to IBM’s official blog. Read Next Mozilla announces $3.5 million award for ‘Responsible Computer Science Challenge’ to encourage teaching ethical coding to CS graduates The Intercept says Google’s Dragonfly is closer to launch than Google would like us to believe U.S Government Accountability Office (GAO) reports U.S weapons can be easily hacked
It was just a little over a week ago when Google released its diversity annual report for the year 2019. And last thursday, its chief diversity officer, Danielle Brown, who co-wrote the report with Melonie Parker, announced that she is leaving Google to join Gusto, a leading Denver and San Francisco based HR-tech firm. “I’m joining the team at Gusto…that’s on a mission to create a world where work empowers a better life. I’ll be leading the People team at a company that is all about people”, writes Brown in a LinkedIn post. Brown is being replaced by Melonie Parker, who earlier served as the Global director of diversity, equity, and inclusion at Google. Brown had joined Google as the Chief Diversity Officer back in June 2017 and earlier worked at a similar profile at Intel. “Danielle has dedicated her career to helping foster humanity at work. Most recently, she served as vice president, employee engagement and chief diversity and inclusion officer at Google, where she focused on ensuring their workplace and culture were respectful, safe, and inclusive — values we hold paramount at Gusto. Danielle will be an incredible addition to the Gusto team”, said Josh Reeves, co-founder, and CEO, Gusto. Gusto serves 6 million small businesses all over the U.S. and provides small businesses with a full-service people platform. The platform provides business owners with all the features they need to build their team. Eileen Naughton, Google VP of People Operations, confirmed Brown’s departure and told TechCrunch that she’s “grateful to Danielle for her excellent work over the past two years to improve representation in Google’s workforce and ensure an inclusive culture for everyone. We wish her all the best in her new role at Gusto”. Liz Fong Jones, a former Google Engineer, who left Google earlier this year in February, tweeted in response to the news of Brown’s departure, saying that it’s not a good sign for Google. She mentioned that Brown wasn’t “always popular with execs and employees” but was a “straight shooter”. Jones at her departure cited Google’s lack of leadership in response to the demands made by employees during the Google walkout in November 2018. She had also published a post on Medium, stating, ‘grave concerns’ related to strategic decisions made at Google and the way it ‘misused its power’. Brown hasn’t specified a reason for her departure from Google but wrote on her Linkedin post that “What if, in addition to trying to solve for employee engagement and inclusion within the biggest tech companies in the world, we tried to solve those critical needs for every local storefront, every new startup just getting off the ground, or every doctor’s office across our communities?” Google is facing a lot of controversies over its employee treatment and work culture. Just last week, over 900 Google workers signed a letter urging Google for fair rights for its contract workers, who make up nearly 54% of the workforce. Google in response rolled out mandatory benefits for its TVCs including health care, paid sick leaves, tuition reimbursement, and minimum wage among others. Brown hasn’t spoken out yet anything regarding her experience within Google and writes that she’s “thrilled to join Gusto and advance its mission. I look forward to a future where work empowers a better life for all small businesses and their teams” Audience reaction to the news is largely positive with people congratulating Brown on her new role at Gusto. Read Next Ian Goodfellow quits Google and joins Apple as a director of machine learning Google employees filed petition to remove anti-trans, anti-LGBTQ and anti-immigrant Kay Coles James from the AI Council Is Google trying to ethics-wash its decisions with its new Advanced Tech External Advisory Council?