Region 6 accepts ‘old’ $15M bulldozer

first_img…investigation launchedRegional Executive Officer (REO) of Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) Kim Williams-Stephen says the used bulldozer, which was recently purchased is indeed the property of the regional administration.Her acceptance came days after she denied that the machinery was property of the regional administration at the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) meeting last Thursday.“It is not a part of our property; we have not signed as receiving it as yet,” she told the RDC and also denied that the Region had paid the supplier for the equipment. However, at a press conference on Monday, the REO told reporters that the bulldozer, which was purchased for $14.8 million, now belonged to the Region. It was at the RDC meeting that concerns were raised over the bulldozer.Councillor Zamal Hussain called on the administration to explain the purpose of buying an old machine versus a new one.The bulldozerWeighing in on the matter, Regional Chairman David Armogan said it appeared to be a D3 Caterpillar bulldozer that was painted over and a D4 sticker was placed on it. He told the RDC that from his observations a further $6 million would have to be expended based on the level of deterioration of the machine. However, the REO told reporters at her press conference that the money was approved by Cabinet for a D3 bulldozer, noting that the proper procurement procedure was followed.“On Friday last the supplier was called and he promised to come in on Tuesday (yesterday) and if there is any defects, he is going to correct,” she said. She added that the equipment, which is now the property of the Region, came with a one-year warranty.“The facts are that the Region is in receipt of the bulldozer. If there are any defects, then it will be communicated to the supplier, who would have given the administration the one-year warranty so that in the event that we have any faulty or malfunctioning of the equipment, it will be addressed.”At the RDC meeting, the REO had said that the administration did not pay for the equipment. However, records at the RDC showed that early last year the supplier was paid $8 million for mobilisation and a further $6.7 million was paid on December 28.The bulldozer was accepted even though no inspection certificate was signed, and Armogan is calling for an investigation. He said that they should invite engineers to view the equipment and evaluate its cost and also whether it was indeed a Caterpillar D4 bulldozer.last_img read more

Keystone pipeline shut down for investigation of potential N.D. oil leak

first_imgA 2017 spill from Keystone released almost 10,000 barrels of oil near Amherst, S.D. CALGARY — TC Energy Corp. says it has shut down the Keystone pipeline while it investigates a potential oil spill in North Dakota.In a brief statement on Wednesday, the Calgary-based company says it is investigating a possible incident after detecting a drop in pressure near its facilities at Edinberg, N.D., at about 9:20 p.m. MT on Tuesday.It says Keystone customers have been notified the pipeline will remain shut down while it investigates the incident.- Advertisement -According to The Associated Press, some wetlands appear to have been affected by the oil leak, but not any sources of drinking water.There are no estimates of volume or how much land may have been affected.A segment of the pipeline in Missouri was shut down in early February for nearly two weeks after a leak of about a dozen barrels of oil was discovered.Advertisement This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 30, 2019.Companies in this article: (TSX:TRP) The Canadian PressAdvertisementlast_img read more