ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):An Antiguan businessman, Neil Cochrane, is the new general secretary of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), a CFU release said on Wednesday.Cochrane has been appointed to replace Anguilla’s Damien Hughes, who had announced his intention to leave the position since last year.The CFU statement announcing the appointment said Cochrane has a wealth of experience in management, having spent the last 13 years as a marketing manager.”We have to understand and have dialogue with the associations to understand their strengths and their weaknesses and to see how we can improve and enhance their weaknesses and further develop their strengths, so that when they have their leagues in St Lucia, or in Guadeloupe, or in Haiti they are all of a particular standard. We have to make sure they are all tapping into as many resources as possible to fund the various programmes that they have.”Relocation comingAlready, the new general secretary has announced plans to reduce the CFU staff in Jamaica as well as rent a smaller office there.He also revealed that some aspects of the daily operations of the CFU will be relocated to Antigua.”There will be some reduction in staff in Jamaica and the size in the current facility that we rent,” he said.”And then there will be the establishment of an office here in Antigua with some support staff and in particular the media. The PR machinery will be placed in Antigua.”In his first interview in the new role, Cochrane said while he intends to open-up dialogue with the membership, first on his agenda is transforming the CFU into a financially viable organisation.”The majority of the funding for the Caribbean Football Union comes through CONCACAF, and at the end of the day, the monies are not necessarily close to what the CFU requires to execute all of its programmes,” said Cochrane.”So, therefore, we have an obligation to do our endeavour best to increase and improve the revenue machinery of the Caribbean Football Union so that the member associations and can be supported stronger.”
Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Edward Kelly promoted to Brazilian jiu-jitsu blue belt Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom Photo from ONE ChampionshipVeteran Filipino fighter Rene Catalan thinks the ONE strawweight world title is up for grabs when his compatriot Joshua Pacio defends his crown for the first time in a rematch with Japanese challenger Hayato Suzuki next month.Pacio and Suzuki will headline the ONE: Eternal Glory event at Istora Senayan in Jakarta, Indonesia on January 19.ADVERTISEMENT After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk “This is a 50-50 bout. As long as Pacio can keep the match off the ground, he has a big chance to win. We all know Suzuki is experienced on the mat, and he already beat Pacio by doing just that in their first bout,” Catalan said.Suzuki got the better of Pacio in their first bout, submitting the Team Lakay standout with a rear-naked choke in the first round back in August 2017.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissCatalan though, said Pacio is a different fighter since that loss.“But Pacio has improved a lot, and he has more experience in grappling now. I think he can already cope up with Suzuki if it goes to the ground. Suzuki has to persevere on taking the fight to the canvas if he wants to win,” Catalan said. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew LATEST STORIES Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title “Hayato Suzuki has the experience, and he knows the art of war. But Pacio is consistently growing. He has the talent and the skill set to prove that he is the more versatile fighter between them,” he added. “The challenger has already beaten Pacio in the past, but he has to work twice as hard because Pacio has evolved so much since his loss to Suzuki.”The 22-year-old Pacio, who beat Yoshitaka Naito in their second encounter three months ago to win the belt, is also putting his four-fight winning streak on the line.“Suzuki could be the most difficult opponent for Pacio in the strawweight division, but Pacio is a different fighter every single time he steps into the cage,” Catalan said.“If Suzuki wants to win, he shouldn’t blink an eye because Pacio will make him pay for every mistake he commits in the fight.”ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight PLAY LIST 00:52ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight04:36Joshua Pacio is the new ONE Strawweight world champion00:44Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings“It is involving potential litigation and potentially the sale and purchase of property,” said Interim City Manager Adolfo Reta. The city along with developer Magnus Sunhill have acquired almost all the property needed to move forward with the large scale development project. But development has been stalled since a series of lawsuits were filed. The city filed an eminent domain lawsuit in October against property owners Pin Zu Wu and V.H.D. Investment. V.H.D. investment, Wu, and Bill Chang, who owns the apartments at 150 S. Garfield Ave., filed an open-meeting lawsuit saying the city authorized eminent domain without properly notifying the public. In January, Wu and V.H.D. Investment filed a separate lawsuit against the city for allegedly violating the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act. Calls to Wu’s attorney, Robert Silverstein, were not returned. Once the lawsuits are out of the way, progress can be made on the development. “At this point, they have only one more property to go,” said economic development director Margarita Cruz. Ultimately, the project will consist of 109 condominiums and nearly 71,000 square feet of commercial space. Ray Wan, the project manager for developer Magnus Sunhill, said retail interest has been significant. The location, Wan added, is “great.” “It is in the heart of downtown,” Wan said. The project will feature restaurants, stores and condos. If the project continues, 16 families who now live in apartments, and 11 business owners will need to be relocated. The city has developed a relocation plan, which was released in March. The total relocation cost is projected at $2 million, which will be paid for by the developer, Magnus Sunhill Group, who has so far negotiated with three of five property owners. This is the second significant mixed-use project in the city. The Atlantic Times Square, slated to be open 2009, is currently under construction, Cruz said. email@example.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2477 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MONTEREY PARK – A lawsuit that has stalled a multi-million dollar redevelopment project is on the brink of being settled, officials said. The Monterey Park City Council at a special meeting today will discuss negotiations about the last remaining property that needs to be acquired before moving forward with the Monterey Park Towne Centre. The two-acre, $38 million redevelopment project will be built at the southeast corner of Garvey and Garfield avenues. City officials would not elaborate on the specifics of the negotiations.