Handball Association Clarifies Pressing Issues

first_imgStarted at the campus of University of Liberia, the National Handball Association, NHA, has made a stride that many of his players, mostly students from the various schools are proud of. When Professor J. Mayson Saweler thought of the need to encourage the formation of the sport, he was aware of the challenges ahead.As a professor of physical education, Saweler realized that a healthy body is a happy person, and therefore he went ahead, with support from sports lovers to get the organization off the ground.“I proceeded nonetheless,” Saweler, who is also president of the Liberia National Handball Association, told the Daily Observer last Tuesday in Monrovia, “because I knew there was more that the sport can do for Liberian youths.”That was four years ago. Fast forward it to the year 2014 and after successful handling of the sport’s affairs, several schools in Monsterrado County, Grand Bassa, and Margibi County are part of it.“Liberia is not Monrovia,” Saweler said, “so we decided to take the sport to other counties.” And his administration is considering further expansion, after the successful defeat of the Ebola outbreak in the country. Regular leagues are organized and awareness about discipline has also been encouraged.In the organization’s first ever international assistance, Olympic Solidarity of the International Olympic Committee, through the Liberia National Olympic Committee, LNOC, provided sponsorship, along with a foreign expert that took participants through the sport’s fundamentals.“It was that support that moved our sport to another level,” Saweler said. He now pleads for more Liberian government’s support.He said, “We completed Ebola awareness for student athletes in Monrovia and we had hoped to extend it outside Montserrado County,” which could not continue due to lack of material support.Meanwhile, at the end of its successful leagues before the outbreak of the deadly Ebola disease, “We have six schools to award prizes at a convenient period,” he said.The schools, he said are Sarah Barclay in both male and female categories, (senior high); Melvin Sonnii (junior high) female division and Newport (male).“Slipway won both male and female versions in the elementary division,” he said.He said the six schools would receive a total amount of Ld30, 000.00, along with one set of jersey.One of the major setbacks for handball, he said, was the recent cancellation of both male and female teams to have participated in the Lome, Togo youth tournament.“Despite the disappointment,” Saweler said, “the grant of U$11,400.00 from the International Handball Federation is being spent for the development of handball, with the blessing of the International Handball Federation.”“It was good news for us,” he said. During the preparation for the abortive trip to Togo, the Ministry of Youth and Sports could not honor a budgeted U$16,000.00, since the ministry did not have money for the trip; a source told the Daily Observer.Among other activities, Saweler said his administration has purchased a vehicle for the organization to ease transportation difficulties. Needed support, he said was provided for three students, recently quarantined in West Point, and another is planned for three players in Dolo Town, in Margibi County who are also quarantined as a result of the fight of Ebola.Said head Coach Arthur N. Dormoh, “We are excited about the progress of handball so far because we can now travel to other counties and make deliveries of 100 handballs.”Coach Dormoh has been with handball from its formation. His colleague is (coach) Phillip Mansaray, who handles the male team.President Saweler meanwhile noted his appreciation to the LNOC for providing an office space for the association. “We have a contact point on By-Pass in Monrovia and we thank LNOC and its president Phillibert Browne for their support,” he said.He meanwhile expressed further appreciation to a foreign national who has been financially supportive to the development of handball in Liberia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Toddler drowns after slipping into canal

first_imgThe distraught mother standing in disbeliefThe motionless body of a 23-month-old boy was on Monday pulled from a trench close to his Berbice home moments after he disappeared.Dead is Bryston Akrie of No. 52 Village Cortentyne, Berbice, whom might have slipped into the pond as he was making his way to join his other three siblings a short distance away. He was found floating face down by his mother, Patricia Devi, at about 15:00h.When Guyana Times contacted the mother on Tuesday, she was at the time speaking with Police detectives who are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of the child.She however explained that the child asked for some tea and as such, she left him with his grandmother as she went to the kitchen. However, as she returned, she saw her mother fast asleep and the child was missing.She explained that the child would normally go out to play with his siblings and thought that he was with them. It was not until one of her other children returned home that she realized that he never joined the others. She said she frantically woke her mother and raised an alarm.“Meh search all ova… upstairs, down stairs, in the back yard…and we nah see he… Meh mother and so start to help search but we nah see he,” she recalled.She said that she decided to check around the pond where she was confronted by her biggest fear. Upon seeing the child in the water, she reportedly jumped overboard and retrieved the child.At that time, she recollected his body was pale and there were no movements or signs that he was alive. Her father, who heard her screams as he was heading home from work, ran towards her and as he picked up his grandson, he realized that the child was dead.The mother, grieving the lost her last child, said that on his way to meet his siblings, he might have stopped by the pond to play with the water and it then slipped in.“We carry he in the house, bathe he and change he clothes and by then the police come do them checks…we then carry he to the hospital mortuary,” the distraught woman added.She further told Guyana Times that she and the father of her four children had separated three months ago and in order for her to take care of her children, she was forced to look for a job. She is presently employed with an aunt to clean fish glue. The other children are ages eight, six and four.A Post-Mortem is expected to be performed shortly.The canal in which the child was pulledlast_img read more