Gov. Wolf, National Advocates Push for a Fairer Probation System

first_img November 18, 2019 Criminal Justice Reform,  Press Release,  Prison Reform Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf was joined by Deputy Secretary of Corrections Christian Stephens and national criminal justice reform advocates today in the Capitol Rotunda to push for commonsense probation reforms that address probation sentences and probation lengths.“Despite recent progress, Pennsylvania’s criminal justice system is still failing in some areas,” Gov. Wolf said. “Probation should assist Pennsylvanians with creating stability in their lives and instead, our excessively long sentences and cumbersome rules are causing Pennsylvanians to lose their jobs, employers are losing much-needed workers, families are losing support systems, and taxpayer money is being wasted on a system that is not improving lives or recidivism rates.”According to the Department of Corrections, one in 35 adults in Pennsylvania is under some form of post-incarceration supervision and that number has increased while the state’s crime rate has decreased. Pennsylvania is one of just eight states where probation can last up to the maximum sentence of an offense.Gov. Wolf encouraged the end of the practice of forcing Pennsylvanians to spend decades jumping through hoops and putting people into jail for minor probation violations like missing an appointment; to institute hard caps on the length of time a person can be on probation; and to find fitting, productive responses, like connecting people to treatment when they fail drug tests.“We have the opportunity to positively change the lives of millions of Pennsylvanians through criminal justice reform,” Gov. Wolf said. “And we already have – through bipartisan initiatives like the Clean Slate Law. I’m having some great discussions with members of the legislature on the best next steps, and I’m optimistic that by working together, we can create a fairer criminal justice system that gets Pennsylvanians back on track to productive, successful lives.”Last year, the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections announced its participation in a Safe Streets & Second Chances reentry initiative aimed at reducing recidivism, which aligns with the governor’s criminal justice reform ideals. The DOC has been working with researcher Dr. Carrie Pettus-Davis from Florida State University to provide access to inmates from four state correctional institutions in Western Pennsylvania who were interested in participating in the pilot program.The 5-Key Model used in the Safe Streets & Second Chances model is a departure from some reentry models that are predominantly deficits-focused. This model focuses on the strengths and psychological well-being of formerly incarcerated individuals to ensure they will remain crime-free and contribute positively to society. Research indicates that a focus on strengths and well-being best maximizes public health and public safety.In addition to Dr. Pettus-Davis, Gov. Wolf was joined by Safe Streets & Second Chances Advisory Council Chair Mark Holden, Right on Crime’s John Koufos, Sen. Anthony Williams, Rep. Jordan Harris, and other legislators and criminal justice reform advocates.“We need an effective criminal justice system which protects people, preserves public safety, respects human dignity, and removes barriers to opportunity for people reentering society to have real second chances,” Mark Holden said. “The research of Safe Streets & Second Chances has found that we get better outcomes when we work together for bipartisan solutions to critical problems like housing, employment and probation reform in Pennsylvania. We look forward to working with Governor Wolf, the legislature and all constituencies to ensure that commonsense smart-on-crime and soft-on-taxpayer policy solutions are achieved for the Keystone state.”“Probation reform and smart criminal justice reform consistently lead to safer communities, and we are excited to see bipartisan innovation in Pennsylvania,” said John Koufos. “Our partners look forward to working with the Legislature as they release a probation bill before this session expires that will make Pennsylvania safer and more prosperous. Technical probation violations have been estimated to cost Pennsylvania taxpayers $100 million per year but are not making Pennsylvanians any safer. Pennsylvania is charting a new course by fixing this system, and we thank the legislature and the governor for working together on this critical issue.”“There are positive, commonsense changes that we can make to the probation system to balance the needs of those who have served time and are working to be part of our society again with the needs of our community and victims to be kept safe,” Rep. Sheryl Delozier, legislation co-sponsor, said.“Criminal justice reform is the civil rights issue of our time, and it’s an honor to stand with Governor Wolf whose support is invaluable,” legislation co-sponsor Rep. Jordan Harris said. “Our probation system is broken and rather than helping people get back to leading a productive life, it’s entrapping them like quicksand. I’m confident we can bring about real change for Pennsylvania and I look forward to continuing to work with Representative Sheryl Delozier as well as democrats and republicans across the aisle who recognize that probation reform is necessary to move Pennsylvania forward.”“At the end of the day, our role as elected officials is to make life better for the people of the commonwealth and that means providing more opportunity, less government, and safer neighborhoods,” said Sen. Camera Bartolotta, legislation co-sponsor. “Criminal justice reform helps achieve all three of these goals. That is why I am proud to be a prime sponsor of Senate Bill 14, legislation that will help reform our overly burdensome probation system from one that too often traps people in a cycle of incarceration, to one that offers opportunity and a path to a better life.”“We’ve worked for over a year with partners representing a wide array of ideologies in support of achieving long-overdue reform to our community supervision system,” legislation co-sponsor Sen. Anthony Williams said. “I look forward to continuing that work and getting a bill that ensures equitable and fair probation supervision to Governor Wolf’s desk early next year.” SHARE Email Facebook Twittercenter_img Gov. Wolf, National Advocates Push for a Fairer Probation Systemlast_img read more

Gold Coast’s top three properties going under the hammer

first_img2 Sapphire St, Hollywell.The deceased estate at 2 Sapphire St offers 50m of Broadwater frontage as part of a 1058sq m block.It will go under the hammer at 11am on Saturday.More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa17 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag2 days agoIn Mermaid Beach a luxury mansion will go under the hammer on Sunday. 2 Sapphire St, Hollywell goes to auction at 11am on Saturday.“One of a handful of mainland Broadwater fronting blocks, this is unquestionably one of the Gold Coast’s most unique and desirable positions,” the listing states.“The sensational preserved Broadwater outlook is ever changing over expanses of blue water across to the natural wonderland of South Stradbroke Island.” 14-16 Ocean St, Mermaid Beach.The two-storey residence at 14-16 Ocean St features a cinema, entertainment room with wet bar and wine cellar, a pool and an alfresco terrace with kitchenette.And on Sunday afternoon, a spectacular Burleigh Heads duplex will be taken to auction.Designed over three levels, the home at 129 George St allows separation between entertaining and sleeping zones while allowing the vista to take centre stage. 14-16 Ocean St, Mermaid Beach will go under the hammer at 11am on Sunday.“We’ve had strong interest and we’ve got an owner who’s committed to selling,” Michael Kollosche of Kollosche Prestige Agents said.“It represents a really good opportunity to buy an affordable large home beachside of Mermaid Beach.” 129 George St, Burleigh Heads.The middle level is flexible with a media room and gym alongside the bedrooms while the lowest level is dedicated to a master retreat.“The way the home was designed is very unique — you’re inside and would have no idea there is another duplex next door.” 129 George St, Burleigh Heads is going to auction at 3pm in Sunday.Marketing Agent Sean Graves of NGU Real Estate Gold Coast said he was expecting a crowd following a successful marketing campaign.“We’ve had lots of interest,” he said.“Over the past three weeks we’ve had 26 groups through.”The upper level forms the social heart of the home with open plan living spaces and the kitchen. Stacking doors bring the indoors outside. Ray White auctioneer Mitch Peereboom in action on the Gold Coast last month. Photo: Richard GoslingA “LANDMARK estate” is among an array of properties set to go under the hammer on the Gold Coast this weekend.The Hollywell property is being offered to the market for the first time in 40 years, and takes waterfront living to a new level.last_img read more

Barcelona have recalled loan stars Gerard Deulofeu and Rafinha

first_imgBarcelona have confirmed that starlets Gerard Deulofeu and Rafinha will be returning to the club as part of their first-team squad.Deulofeu spent last season in England with Everton whilst Rafinha remained in Spain with Celta Vigo – but neither will be loaned out next season.The decision was made by new boss Luis Enrique, and was one of the first following his appointment on a two-year deal.Enrique knows both players well, having coached them for Barcelona B during his three-years in charge, whilst he also signed Rafinha on-loan for Celta last term.Both players impressed during their time away from Camp Nou – and interest in the pair was big, but Enrique wants both to remain.21-year-old midfielder Rafinha, brother of Bayern Munich’s Thiago, has never played for Barcelona’s first-team, whilst Deulofeu has made just two appearances for the Catalan giants. Reports in Spain suggest that Everton – who wanted Deulofeu back for next season – have requested another Barcelona youngster join them on loan.last_img read more

Pangilinan: PH ‘putting very good bid’ to host 2023 Fiba World Cup

first_imgManny V. Pangilinan. INQUIRER.net file photoFor Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) chairman emeritus Manny V. Pangilinan, he sees the country winning the hosting rights for the 2023 Fiba World Cup as his lasting legacy for Philippine basketball.“For the country, it will be a great Christmas gift and it will be great honor. If anything, if there’s any legacy I’d like to leave to the sport of basketball, it’s that after so many years, the Philippines will once again be the center of the world in the sport of basketball,” Pangilinan said.ADVERTISEMENT After yielding the 2019 Fiba World Cup hosting rights to China, the Philippines’ hopes in hosting the global hoops extravaganza was fanned once again as it joined forces with Japan and Indonesia in submitting a joint hosting bid for the 2023 edition.The three-nation proposal made the final cut together with the joint bid of Argentina and Uruguay. The two candidates are set to present their proposals before the Fiba Central Board on December 9, where the decision will also be known.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBack on the throneIf the Philippines’ joint bid do get the nod, venues like Smart Araneta Coliseum and Mall of Asia Arena are expected to stage games, while the cavernous Philippine Arena is also eyed to host the championship game.Pangilinan said he’s really praying to the heavens that Fiba finally gives the country the green light in hosting the Fiba World Cup, noting that if there’s a country in the world which loves the sport of basketball more than anyone, it’s definitely the Filipinos. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:08DOT assures PH ‘very safe’ for tourists amid alleged abduction in Makati02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Castro leading the way for Gilas in World Cup qualifiers Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? MOST READ Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’center_img LATEST STORIES OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson “The Filipino people deserve it,” he said. “I’m guardedly optimistic and cautiously optimistic. We’re keeping our fingers crossed. We’re putting a very good bid so let’s see.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set View commentslast_img read more