Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Dubois ChevelleA Freeport cashier has been arrested for stealing more than $13,000 from the village by altering residents’ water and electric utility payments and pocketing the cash over the past three years.Chevelle Dubois pleaded not guilty Wednesday at Nassau County to charges of grand larceny, defrauding the government, falsifying business records and official misconduct.Prosecutors said the 36-year-old Freeport woman collected payments from residents, recorded them in a computerized system and then altered the entry to reflect that the payment had been refunded to the resident before pocketing the money.Dubois used the stolen cash to repay the accounts she had stolen from the previous day until the alleged scheme unraveled in May when a resident received a default notice—despite having receipts proving that he had paid the bill, authorities said.She had stolen more than $5,000 from 22 accounts and her cash drawer was short an additional $8,000 when she was fired in June.She was released without bail and is due back in court Sept. 18. She faces up to seven years in prison, if convicted.
A CorrespondentDEMOW: Under the aegis of All Assam Body Building and Sivasagar District Body Building Association and under the patronage of Riyan Flex, Demow Health Club and Prasanta Body Flex with the help of the People of Demow in the memory of Mr. Assam Arif Ali (Biki), Mr. Sivasagar, Body Building and Fitness Competitions were organized at Demow Jyoti-Bishnu Cultural Building on Saturday. Deepjyoti Barman of Sonari won the Mr. Sivasagar title and received trophy, medal, certificate, title and cash. In Master Mr. Sivasagar competition Rubul Borgohain got the first position and in Fitness Mr. Sivasagar Competition Kahar Hussain emerged champion.Also Read: Anti-CAA protest ‘Axomiyar Ronodhwani’ staged in SivasagarAlso Watch: All Assam Lawyers Association staged protest rally against CAA 2019 in Guwahati
In the opening minutes of the second half, USC’s offense improved, emphasized by a quick 4 points from redshirt senior guard Shaqquan Aaron. The Trojans also pressed the Huskies defensively and forced misses from distance. As the clock approached the 15-minute mark, USC was only down by 4 points with a score of 41-37. The Trojans will look to break even on their Washington road trip when they face off against Washington State on Saturday at 4 p.m. USC will attempt to capitalize on this opportunity against a weaker opponent, as the Cougars hold a poor 1-7 conference record. USC men’s basketball was unable to overcome a poor first half on Wednesday, falling to the Washington Huskies by a score of 75-62 on the road. Washington’s ability to defend and rebound gave the Huskies the edge in the game, and they were able to maintain their perfect Pac-12 record of 8-0. The Trojans fell to a 5-3 conference record. Washington started to turn the ball over following the early lead, allowing the Trojans to cut their deficit. Senior forward Bennie Boatwright led the charge with 4 straight points off of a jumper and two free throws. Ten minutes into the half, USC was down 17-15. The Trojans failed to score consistently for the entirety of the half, shooting 33 percent from the field and 14.3 percent from the 3-point line. Boatwright and Rakocevic carried the majority of the offensive load, combining for 18 of the team’s 25 first half points. USC’s poor shooting and abundance of turnovers gave Washington a significant advantage, despite having eight turnovers of its own. It was a dismal overall performance from the Trojan offense, which managed just 62 points on 40.7 percent shooting from the field. Besides the 22 and 16 points from Boatwright and Rakocevic, respectively, no player scored in double-digits. The Trojans shot just 31.3 percent from three and had a negative assist-to-turnover ratio at 13-to-18. The Trojans were unable to keep up with the physicality of the Huskies and were forced to foul them repeatedly in the final five minutes of the game to attempt a desperate comeback. 9 of Washington’s final 11 points came from the free throw line. These points only widened Washington’s commanding lead into the end of the game and eliminated any possibility for a comeback. USC continued to keep pace with Washington’s offense, but the Trojans’ inability to rebound consistently kept them from breaking into their deficit. Washington senior forward Noah Dickerson overpowered USC from the inside, finishing the game with 21 points and 14 rebounds. In addition, he gathered a dominant six offensive rebounds. Washington countered the Trojans’ run with a strong presence on the offensive glass and were able to break down USC’s defense in transition. Freshman guard Kevin Porter attempted to shift the momentum back to USC with a dynamic alley-oop and deep three, but the Trojans were still down 54-46 halfway through the second half. Freshman guard Kevin Porter shot just 2-for-6 from the field against the Huskies, but he wasn’t the only one struggling; as a team, the Trojans shot 40.7 percent from the field and 31.3 percent from three for the game. (Josh Dunst/Daily Trojan) USC shot poorly as the game progressed into the latter portion of the half. The Trojans especially struggled from beyond the arc, missing their first six 3-point attempts. The Huskies used the missed shots to attack USC in transition, either drawing fouls or finishing from short range. Washington would then go on a 14-3 run with three minutes left in the half, leading by a score of 31-18. Washington succeeded offensively. The Huskies didn’t shoot particularly well from the field, but they bullied their way to 17 offensive rebounds, creating numerous extra scoring chances. Washington dominated the total rebounding numbers 40 to 28. The Huskies immediately showcased lockdown defense, preventing USC from putting together any significant offensive run. Junior forward Nick Rakocevic was the only Trojan to score in the first six minutes, totaling 7 points. However, Washington continued to dominate on both ends of the court in the early minutes, taking a 15-7 lead.
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – A High Court Judge has set January 16 next year as the date for sentencing Jamaican-born British Queen’s Counsel, Vincent Nelson, who pleaded guilty to his role in the high profile case involving a former attorney general and an opposition legislator.During a two-hour in-camera session on Thursday, Justice Malcolm Holdip accepted the plea agreement deal between the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and Nelson, who was indicted on three counts of conspiring to commit money laundering, misbehavior in public office and conspiracy to commit an act of corruption.The charges are related to the alleged kickback of millions of dollars (One TT dollar=US$0.16 cents) in legal fees to former attorney general Anand Ramlogan and attorney Gerald Ramdeen as a “gift” for receiving State briefs. Nelson will now be the state’s witness in the case.Ramlogan and Ramdeen have been released on bail totaling TT$2.7 million after being jointly charged with conspiracy to contravene Section 3 of the Prevention of Corruption Act; conspiracy to contravene Section 45 of the Proceeds of Crime Act and conspiracy to misbehave in public office.Earlier this week, in his application to have the matter heard without the presence of the media, the DPP, Roger Gaspard said Nelson would have agreed to turn state witness against Ramlogan and Ramdeen and that since the charges against all three arose from the same factual origin, there was “some symmetery” in Nelson’s case and the case against the other two.“That type of symmetry makes for a heightened degree of sensitivity as far as the carriage of this and those related matters,” he said, adding “one has to be especially careful to ensure that nothing is done to attract the issue of adverse pre-trial publicity for any of the subjected related parties”.The judge accepted the plea agreement and in accordance with section 26 of the Criminal Procedure (Plea Discussion and Plea Agreement) Act, and Nelson will now be sentenced on January 16.In accordance with the provisions of the recently-proclaimed Criminal Procedure (Plea Discussion and Plea Agreement) Act, certain steps are to take place before the judge signs off on the agreement.These include the disclosure by the prosecution the substance of and reasons for the agreement and before accepting it, the judge has to ensure an accused was not induced to enter the agreement and knows of the consequences of it.The judge also has to ensure that the agreement is justifiable.Ramlogan and Ramdeen are to re-appear in a magistrate’s court on June 28.
Two siblings of Indian origin, who have severe nut allergy, have alleged that they were told by the Emirates cabin crew to “sit in the loo” while cashews were being served on a flight. Shannen Sahota, 24, and Sundeep Sahota, 33, were on board a seven and-a-half hour flight, which departed from England’s Birmingham Airport en route to Dubai and Singapore.The siblings claimed on the show This Morning, a British daytime television program broadcast on ITV, that the airline did not pay attention to their condition despite being relayed the information about their nut allergy during booking and check-in.The duo was panic stricken when fried nuts were being served 40 minutes into the flight. They were also alarmed when they learned that the chicken main course dinner for 500 passengers contained cashew nuts.One of the cabin crew reportedly told them that they might feel more comfortable if they moved into a toilet cubicle with cushions and pillows, they said. They refused and instead sat at the back of the plane with blankets over their heads for the remaining seven hours, to protect themselves from any airborne nut particles, the Sun reported. They carry EpiPen injections for emergencies.Shannen, an analyst living at Wolverhampton, formally complained to Emirates, saying: “It was uncomfortable, embarrassing and demeaning. We were stunned when a supervisor told us ‘one way round it’ was for us to spend the flight in the cabin loo.”Sundeep, a contracts manager, said, “All information we gave them was ignored,” the Mirror reported.An Emirates spokesperson apologized following the report. “We are sorry to hear about Ms Sahota’s complaint. Emirates tries to cater to all passenger specific needs by offering a number of special meals that cover as many medical, dietary and religious requirements as possible. However, Emirates cannot guarantee completely nut-free flights, the airline said. “We’ve looked into Ms Sahota’s booking and our records do not reflect any mention of a nut allergy. All passengers who alert us of a nut allergy prior to travel are informed of our policy and it is also outlined on our website. When alerted during the flight, our crew tried their best to offer Ms Sahota and her brother alternative locations in an open space in back of the aircraft cabin to minimize their proximity to other passengers who may be consuming meals with nuts. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and our customer care team will be in touch with Miss Sahota directly.” Related ItemsBritish Indianemirates