ND recognizes eating disorders

first_imgIn observance of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, the University Counseling Center is promoting awareness of the dangerous effects of the pressure to look perfect. “Students can feel like a lot of aspects of their life are out of control, and food is one aspect that they can control,” Maureen Lafferty, assistant director of the University Counseling Center, said. “An eating disorder can develop from this mentality.” The theme of this year’s national campaign to promote awareness of eating disorders is “Everybody Knows Somebody,” which reflects that the number of eating disorders in the United States is on the rise. The campaign also focuses on how to reach out to people with these disorders. Lafferty said although people commonly associate eating disorders with women, men can also suffer from them. “Women are certainly affected more, but eating disorders are not limited exclusively to women,” she said. Signs of an eating disorder include a restricted diet, mood swings, compulsive and obsessive exercise and low self-esteem. However, Lafferty said any radical change in behavior is a cause for concern. “If you notice a significant drop in weight or a change in eating behavior, it may indicate an eating disorder,” she said. “If you have a concern, it should be expressed in the spirit of care and compassion. “It is a sensitive subject, so express your concern in a caring way rather than being accusatory” Lafferty also said turning to professionals can be a smart way to address concerns. They can provide additional information and help develop a plan for whether and how to approach the person. “Eating disorders are way more complex than we think and in some cases we need professional input to figure out the best way to approach the situation,” Lafferty said. If a student notices a friend engaging in harmful behavior, he or she should turn to a rector or a member of the University Counseling Center, Lafferty said. “Do not feel like you alone need to be responsible in the situation,” she said. “If you notice a change in a person’s behavior, do not act like a detective. Approach them with an attitude of compassion rather than anything accusatory.”last_img read more

The Latest: South Carolina hoops coach Martin had virus

first_imgThe Latest: South Carolina hoops coach Martin had virus June 2, 2020 The restart will begin with two games on June 19. Krylya Sovetov Samara will play Akhmat Grozny and Sochi will face FC Rostov.Russia is planning to allow a limited number of fans in the stadiums when games restart.___England is set to host the West Indies in three cricket tests in July, subject to government approval.The West Indies will arrive next Tuesday and travel to Old Trafford in Manchester for quarantine and training. Pac-12 schools have agreed to perform COVID-19 and coronavirus antibody tests on all athletes upon their return to campuses for voluntary workouts.“These guidelines are coming from our medical advisory committee and it’s their belief this is best practice,” Commissioner Larry Scott told The Associated Press.Scott said athletes will continue to be tested regularly for COVID-19 as long as they are under the supervision of the schools.“I think it’s important to keep in mind our student-athletes come from all over. All over the United States and in some cases all over the world,” Scott said. “Return to campus and return to voluntary workouts I think factors that in.”The Pac-12 schools are scheduled to begin allowing athletes back into their facilities for voluntary workouts starting June 15. Martin said he tested positive last month. He detailed his experience with the virus for the first time Tuesday.Martin said he was prepping for a knee replacement surgery in early May when he was diagnosed with the virus. He immediately went into quarantine at his home.The 54-year-old Martin said he didn’t have to go to the hospital. He said he had no significant symptoms of the virus other than some fatigue. Two weeks later at a follow-up visit, a coronavirus test came back negative. Martin said no one else in his family was affected by the virus.Martin has coached the Gamecocks for the past eight seasons.___ ___North Carolina State athletic director Boo Corrigan says the school has begun a schedule allowing student-athletes to return in phases to campus, with the first wave of football players permitted to return to student housing by June 20.The school announced details of the plan Tuesday in an open letter from Corrigan, who said the plan is to return via “the safest and most responsible path moving forward.”Corrigan says the first phase has already started by allowing members of the football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball programs who live locally to receive examinations and coronavirus testing.If cleared, athletes would be allowed to participate in voluntary workouts, though they would be divided into small groups for safety precautions. The second phase begins with football players returning to student housing “no later than” June 20, followed by men’s and women’s basketball players.The third phase would bring back athletes in fall sports, though Corrigan said only that will come “later this summer” with additional details coming later. The final phase is the return of all other programs ahead of the fall semester.___The Russian soccer league says it will restart on June 19. That is two days earlier than originally planned.The league says it gave the date of June 21 because of a longstanding practice of using the date of Sunday’s games as the official nominal designation for a round of games over several days. Associated Press center_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___South Carolina men’s basketball coach Frank Martin says he has recovered from a case of COVID-19. Federation spokesman Andi Vrecani says “the championship is not threatened because the protocol has been set that such a player with COVID-19 is quarantined for 14 days and the team continues preparation normally.”Play was suspended in mid-March following the country’s lockdown.Bylis is in seventh place. The league is expected to finish by July 29 with the Albanian Cup final on Aug. 2.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 They will then move to Southampton for the first test from July 8, and back to Old Trafford for the remaining tests starting on July 16 and July 24.There will be no spectators.The two venues were chosen because they had hotels attached or nearby and could be turned into “bio-secure environments.”Cricket West Indies agreed in principle to tour last Friday.The test series was originally scheduled to begin on Thursday. ___Pac-12 schools have agreed to perform COVID-19 and coronavirus antibody tests on all athletes upon their return to campuses for voluntary workouts.Commissioner Larry Scott tells The Associated Press “these guidelines are coming from our medical advisory committee and it’s their belief this is best practice.”Scott says athletes will continue to be tested regularly for COVID-19 as long as they are under the supervision of the schools.Scott says “I think it’s important to keep in mind our student-athletes come from all over. All over the United States and in some cases all over the world.” The Pac-12 schools are scheduled to begin allowing athletes back into their facilities for voluntary workouts starting June 15.___An Albanian player has tested positive for the coronavirus but the country’s soccer federation says his club will play as scheduled when the league resumes this week amid the pandemic.The KF Bylis player was not named.League matches in Albania will resume on Wednesday without fans in the stadiums. The matches will follow medical protocols drafted in consultation with UEFA. Bowling Green is working with alumni and former players to reinstate the Falcons’ baseball program.The Ohio school announced May 15 it was dropping baseball because of a projected $2 million athletic budget shortfall stemming from the coronavirus outbreak. Cutting baseball was expected to save $500,000 a year. No other sports were eliminated, but there were to be other cost-cutting measures in the athletic department.Former players began a “Save BGSU Baseball” campaign shortly after the announcement the sport would be eliminated. The university said in a statement baseball could return if short- and long-term funding solutions can be secured to sustain the program the next three years and beyond. Athletic department spokesman Jason Knavel confirmed media reports that $1.5 million would need to be raised to achieve that goal. Knavel said no deadline has been set.Bowling Green’s most famous ex-player is Orel Hershiser, a three-time All-Star who pitched 18 years in the major leagues, 13 with the Los Angeles Dodgers.___last_img read more

Munster confirm new deals and signing

first_imgThe province have also confirmed the signing of Sharks lock Jean Deysel on a three-month loan.  The 32-year-old who has been capped by South Africa will join the later this month, subject to being granted a valid work permit.last_img

Real Salt Lake teen Taylor Booth follows Chris Richards, Alphonso Davies from MLS to Bayern

first_imgTaylor Booth has become the latest MLS teen to join Bayern Munich, putting pen to paper on a 3 1/2-year deal.The 17-year-old attacking midfielder moves from Real Salt Lake, after Chris Richards from Dallas and Alphonso Davies from Vancouver in signing with the Bundesliga champions. Newcastle pulls off club-, MLS-record deal for Atlanta United’s Miguel Almiron “Being here in Munich at the Bayern campus and taking the next steps in my development makes me very proud.”Booth is a United States Under-18 international and Bayern campus manager Jochen Sauer expects him to have a bright future.”We see a lot of potential in Taylor,” he said. “He is a talented young player, and we look forward to working with him to develop his talent further.” USMNT 2019: Goalkeeper Zack Steffen fueled by more than determinationcenter_img Welcome to the #FCBayern family, Taylor! #MiaSanMia    pic.twitter.com/NGaGlMIEAC— FC Bayern US (@FCBayernUS) January 31, 2019Bayern boss Niko Kovac confirmed earlier Thursday that the club’s pursuit of Chelsea teen Callum Hudson-Odoi has been paused.”We will no longer be active in the transfer market,” Kovac told a press conference. “The teams do not want to let their players leave. We have a good and big squad.”Franck [Ribery] and Arjen [Robben] have been training, so I have to leave one, two at home anyway. That’s why it does not make sense for us to get three or four more players.” Booth will be selected for Bayern’s Under-23 training camp in Dallas before linking up with the club’s Under-19 squad.”I’m very happy with this next step in my career,” Booth said. “Bayern are one of the largest clubs in the world. Related Newslast_img read more