How Mikel Arteta and Edu convinced Gabriel to join Arsenal

first_img Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 1 Sep 2020 4:48 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.5kShares Comment Advertisement Arsenal have completed the signing of Gabriel Magalhaes from Lille (Picture: AP)New Arsenal signing Gabriel Magalhaes has confirmed the influence of Mikel Arteta and Edu proved decisive in his decision to join the Gunners.The Brazilian centre-half’s arrival was confirmed on Tuesday after Arsenal agreed a £27milion fee with Lille and made the 22-year-old their second major signing of the summer.Gabriel had been tracked by the likes of Napoli and had even been on the radar of Manchester United but ultimately decided to join his compatriots Gabriel Martinelli, David Luiz and fellow new-boy Willian in north London. Edu, the club’s technical director, has taken on added responsibility in helping Arteta accelerate his rebuilding job following the departure of Raul Sanllehi earlier this month and the former Arsenal midfielder played a crucial role in the signing of his club’s latest recruit.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘[Edu and I] had several chats about Arsenal and the new project, we had many good conversations,’ Gabriel told Arsenal Digital. How Mikel Arteta and Edu convinced Gabriel to join Arsenal Edu and Mikel Arteta helped convince Gabriel to join Arsenal (Picture: Getty)‘As the days went by I was getting very excited about it, then I had a call from the coach and that was very reassuring. ‘Having the coach himself calling you to say he wants you in his squad motivates you a lot. That is the very reason I am here today. ‘We did not talk about [details], he just told me he is aware of my quality, my capacity and how far I can go. He also said he will be very demanding with me.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘I know he is a great coach and I will make progress with his help.’Arteta, who enhanced his burgeoning reputation by masterminding Arsenal’s Community Shield win over Liverpool last weekend, now has an abundance of central defenders at his disposal.Rob Holding starred at Wembley against the champions but he is interesting the likes of Newcastle, while Calum Chambers could return to Fulham, while the likes of Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Shkodran Mustafi are likely to be deemed surplus to requirements. MORE: ‘I’ll be absolutely buzzing!’ Kieran Tierney desperate for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to sign new Arsenal contractMORE: Arsenal defender Rob Holding close to Newcastle loan moveFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisementlast_img read more

Region 6 accepts ‘old’ $15M bulldozer

first_img…investigation launchedRegional Executive Officer (REO) of Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) Kim Williams-Stephen says the used bulldozer, which was recently purchased is indeed the property of the regional administration.Her acceptance came days after she denied that the machinery was property of the regional administration at the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) meeting last Thursday.“It is not a part of our property; we have not signed as receiving it as yet,” she told the RDC and also denied that the Region had paid the supplier for the equipment. However, at a press conference on Monday, the REO told reporters that the bulldozer, which was purchased for $14.8 million, now belonged to the Region. It was at the RDC meeting that concerns were raised over the bulldozer.Councillor Zamal Hussain called on the administration to explain the purpose of buying an old machine versus a new one.The bulldozerWeighing in on the matter, Regional Chairman David Armogan said it appeared to be a D3 Caterpillar bulldozer that was painted over and a D4 sticker was placed on it. He told the RDC that from his observations a further $6 million would have to be expended based on the level of deterioration of the machine. However, the REO told reporters at her press conference that the money was approved by Cabinet for a D3 bulldozer, noting that the proper procurement procedure was followed.“On Friday last the supplier was called and he promised to come in on Tuesday (yesterday) and if there is any defects, he is going to correct,” she said. She added that the equipment, which is now the property of the Region, came with a one-year warranty.“The facts are that the Region is in receipt of the bulldozer. If there are any defects, then it will be communicated to the supplier, who would have given the administration the one-year warranty so that in the event that we have any faulty or malfunctioning of the equipment, it will be addressed.”At the RDC meeting, the REO had said that the administration did not pay for the equipment. However, records at the RDC showed that early last year the supplier was paid $8 million for mobilisation and a further $6.7 million was paid on December 28.The bulldozer was accepted even though no inspection certificate was signed, and Armogan is calling for an investigation. He said that they should invite engineers to view the equipment and evaluate its cost and also whether it was indeed a Caterpillar D4 bulldozer.last_img read more