Handball Association Clarifies Pressing Issues

first_imgStarted at the campus of University of Liberia, the National Handball Association, NHA, has made a stride that many of his players, mostly students from the various schools are proud of. When Professor J. Mayson Saweler thought of the need to encourage the formation of the sport, he was aware of the challenges ahead.As a professor of physical education, Saweler realized that a healthy body is a happy person, and therefore he went ahead, with support from sports lovers to get the organization off the ground.“I proceeded nonetheless,” Saweler, who is also president of the Liberia National Handball Association, told the Daily Observer last Tuesday in Monrovia, “because I knew there was more that the sport can do for Liberian youths.”That was four years ago. Fast forward it to the year 2014 and after successful handling of the sport’s affairs, several schools in Monsterrado County, Grand Bassa, and Margibi County are part of it.“Liberia is not Monrovia,” Saweler said, “so we decided to take the sport to other counties.” And his administration is considering further expansion, after the successful defeat of the Ebola outbreak in the country. Regular leagues are organized and awareness about discipline has also been encouraged.In the organization’s first ever international assistance, Olympic Solidarity of the International Olympic Committee, through the Liberia National Olympic Committee, LNOC, provided sponsorship, along with a foreign expert that took participants through the sport’s fundamentals.“It was that support that moved our sport to another level,” Saweler said. He now pleads for more Liberian government’s support.He said, “We completed Ebola awareness for student athletes in Monrovia and we had hoped to extend it outside Montserrado County,” which could not continue due to lack of material support.Meanwhile, at the end of its successful leagues before the outbreak of the deadly Ebola disease, “We have six schools to award prizes at a convenient period,” he said.The schools, he said are Sarah Barclay in both male and female categories, (senior high); Melvin Sonnii (junior high) female division and Newport (male).“Slipway won both male and female versions in the elementary division,” he said.He said the six schools would receive a total amount of Ld30, 000.00, along with one set of jersey.One of the major setbacks for handball, he said, was the recent cancellation of both male and female teams to have participated in the Lome, Togo youth tournament.“Despite the disappointment,” Saweler said, “the grant of U$11,400.00 from the International Handball Federation is being spent for the development of handball, with the blessing of the International Handball Federation.”“It was good news for us,” he said. During the preparation for the abortive trip to Togo, the Ministry of Youth and Sports could not honor a budgeted U$16,000.00, since the ministry did not have money for the trip; a source told the Daily Observer.Among other activities, Saweler said his administration has purchased a vehicle for the organization to ease transportation difficulties. Needed support, he said was provided for three students, recently quarantined in West Point, and another is planned for three players in Dolo Town, in Margibi County who are also quarantined as a result of the fight of Ebola.Said head Coach Arthur N. Dormoh, “We are excited about the progress of handball so far because we can now travel to other counties and make deliveries of 100 handballs.”Coach Dormoh has been with handball from its formation. His colleague is (coach) Phillip Mansaray, who handles the male team.President Saweler meanwhile noted his appreciation to the LNOC for providing an office space for the association. “We have a contact point on By-Pass in Monrovia and we thank LNOC and its president Phillibert Browne for their support,” he said.He meanwhile expressed further appreciation to a foreign national who has been financially supportive to the development of handball in Liberia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Liverpool star has fully recovered from shoulder injury

first_img Best clips, calls and talkSPORT moments of 2019, feat Hearn, McCoist and more It dampened his World Cup campaign with Egypt as he missed their opening group-stage defeat to Uruguay.But he has joined up with Jurgen Klopp’s squad for their pre-season trip to the United States and the manager confirmed he is back at 100% fitness.“He has fully recovered,” Klopp told Liverpool’s official website..“We were constantly in contact [during the World Cup] and he was fine. Shoulder-wise, he had no problems. We were in really close contact and it was clear that if he had any problems still then he would have waited for the next game.“He is a very serious person and he knows that it’s his career. Whatever people want from you, if you can’t, you can’t. But he was completely fine and is completely fine now. Salah has fully recovered from his injury gameday LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS Klopp gave an update on Salah How Arsenal could line up in Arteta’s first official game in charge – Ozil return? 2 How Chelsea could line up against Southampton – what system will Lampard play? How Liverpool could line up at Leicester with midfielder set for lengthy absence NEW ERA Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes possible xi center_img smart causal who plays? Tottenham v Brighton LIVE: talkSPORT commentary and team news for Boxing Day opener Mohamed Salah is fully fit after the shoulder injury sustained in May’s Champions League final.The Egypt international was forced off in tears after a clash with Real Madrid’s Sergio Ramos and the Reds went on to lose 3-1. “He looks full of joy and is really happy to be back. It was nice to see him yesterday for the first time, the same for Sadio [Mane]. They had an intense year behind [them] but they are really looking forward to the season already.“It’s good to have them back and they can start training now and all that stuff. It was not a long time they were out but I think it was very important that they had at least three weeks.“Now they still have a good basis. They look very fit – we made tests yesterday. Both have fantastic values so they did the work they had to do, so now they can start quicker than the rest of the team from another basis. That’s good for us but the season starts on August 12, not this week, so good.” How Man United could line up for Newcastle clash – will Pogba start? predicted 2 ALTERED Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade highlights last_img read more