…investigation launchedRegional Executive Officer (REO) of Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) Kim Williams-Stephen says the used bulldozer, which was recently purchased is indeed the property of the regional administration.Her acceptance came days after she denied that the machinery was property of the regional administration at the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) meeting last Thursday.“It is not a part of our property; we have not signed as receiving it as yet,” she told the RDC and also denied that the Region had paid the supplier for the equipment. However, at a press conference on Monday, the REO told reporters that the bulldozer, which was purchased for $14.8 million, now belonged to the Region. It was at the RDC meeting that concerns were raised over the bulldozer.Councillor Zamal Hussain called on the administration to explain the purpose of buying an old machine versus a new one.The bulldozerWeighing in on the matter, Regional Chairman David Armogan said it appeared to be a D3 Caterpillar bulldozer that was painted over and a D4 sticker was placed on it. He told the RDC that from his observations a further $6 million would have to be expended based on the level of deterioration of the machine. However, the REO told reporters at her press conference that the money was approved by Cabinet for a D3 bulldozer, noting that the proper procurement procedure was followed.“On Friday last the supplier was called and he promised to come in on Tuesday (yesterday) and if there is any defects, he is going to correct,” she said. She added that the equipment, which is now the property of the Region, came with a one-year warranty.“The facts are that the Region is in receipt of the bulldozer. If there are any defects, then it will be communicated to the supplier, who would have given the administration the one-year warranty so that in the event that we have any faulty or malfunctioning of the equipment, it will be addressed.”At the RDC meeting, the REO had said that the administration did not pay for the equipment. However, records at the RDC showed that early last year the supplier was paid $8 million for mobilisation and a further $6.7 million was paid on December 28.The bulldozer was accepted even though no inspection certificate was signed, and Armogan is calling for an investigation. He said that they should invite engineers to view the equipment and evaluate its cost and also whether it was indeed a Caterpillar D4 bulldozer.
Following years of constant delays on its completion, the National Youth Policy might finally come on-stream sometime this month, according to President David Granger.Prompted for an update on this much talked about matter, President Granger explained that a white paper on the National Youth Policy is being prepared and will soon be laid in the National Assembly.While noting that this is a cautious pronouncement, the President said the document could be ready sometime in this month.Finance Minister Winston Jordan during the presentation of Budget 2016 announced that the National Youth Policy was finalised.In August 2015, Presidential Adviser on Youth Empowerment Aubrey Norton had announced that the National Youth Policy draft had been completed and was awaiting review from the President and Education Minister, Dr Rupert Roopnaraine.The National Youth Policy is supposed to be a comprehensive policy document that states the vision of the Government of Guyana (GoG) for the youths of the country, and also how this vision would be realised by the Government. The Policy caters for the needs of the youths in the age group of 15-35 years, which constitutes over 50 per cent of the population.It also identifies the vision and the five key objectives that are further sub-divided into several priority areas for youth development. It further suggests policy imperatives that should be implemented in each of these identified priority areas.The National Youth Policy 2015 seeks to achieve a nation where all the young people are safe and healthy, have equal access to opportunities, can participate in public life, and are empowered to meaningfully contribute to Guyana’s sustainable, national development.The previous Administration had held numerous consultations on this initiative in an effort to finalise and subsequently implement the policy
Related posts:Costa Rica meets Millennium Development Goal for hunger reduction Hunger on the rise in Costa Rica Central America benefits from generosity of Seattle-based Gates Foundation Costa Rica poverty hits young people the hardest, says new survey Costa Rica will have four Food Banks by 2016, according to the the private organization that runs them. Food Banks take donations from several companies and distribute them to people living in extreme poverty.On Thursday, which was World Food Day, Food Bank director Napoleón Burgos reported that in the first quarter of 2015 the organization will open another operation in the Caribbean province of Limón, and in 2016 organizers hope to add another in Puntarenas.Costa Rica’s first Food Bank was opened in San José in March 2012, and the second opened last week in the northwestern province of Guanacaste. The project was started by 10 private companies that began collecting food to donate to poor families.According to the State of the Nation program, some 350,000 people (85,557 households) in Costa Rica do not earn enough to purchase the basic food basket. Studies by the U.N.’s Food and Agriculture Organization show that developing countries like Costa Rica discard nearly 30 percent of the food they produce.During last year’s World Food Day, FAO reported that 8.2 percent of Costa Ricans had been “chronically malnourished” during a period from 2011 to 2013, a 5 percent increase from 2010.Food Bank sponsors collect an average of 200,000 kilograms of food per week, which provides meals for up to 22,0000 people a day. Food is distributed through community organizations, and on average, each person receives two daily meals, the organization reported.Fourteen other companies recently joined the project as partners and honorary members. Among the donations the bank received this week are 1,400 kg of beans from Grupo Mutual and 10,000 breakfasts from cereal company Kellogg’s.Burgos said he expects more companies to join the project.To contact the Food Bank (Banco de Alimentos), visit their website at: www.bancodealimentos.cr. Facebook Comments