Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Frank Lampard, the man whose disallowed World Cup goal forced FIFA into a U-turn on goal-line technology, has welcomed the announcement that the Premier League will use the Hawkeye system from next season. Lampard’s shot against Germany in Bloemfontein clearly crossed the line during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa but officials did not award a goal and that set in motion a change of events that saw FIFA president Sepp Blatter change his mind on technology. “It’s a no brainer. It’s been a bit of time coming, but they got there in the end, said Lampard. “It’s a very good thing for football. I think it’s a simple thing. I think it will bring an excitement factor on the times that it is used and it will just give you the correct answer, which I think at this level, when it’s so important, we need that.” Press Association Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said the ability to make the replays available had been the decisive factor in choosing Hawkeye. He said: “The fact it was a camera-based system was critical. Replays will be made available to all our host broadcasters and we are examining the feasibility of them being used on in-stadium big-screens. It is essential that fans see the system in action to know that it is working.” The agreement, hailed by England manager Roy Hodgson as “a momentous day” for football, will see all 20 top-flight clubs use the system and the Football Association is set to follow suit with Wembley Stadium. The first domestic match to use the system should be the Community Shield at Wembley on August 11, and the first Premier League match the 12.45pm kick-off on August 17. The FA has been part of negotiations along with the Premier League but still has to sign a separate agreement with Hawkeye – a German system, GoalControl, had also been under consideration after submitting a tender. Hodgson said: “It’s something that people in football have wanted for a long, long time. It has been a big debate and it was pushed back but it’s great now to see that everyone is on the same page and that they have introduced it. At least it will stop some of those gross injustices that we have seen in recent years where goals have obviously been scored and not allowed. “It will be one of those momentous days in football. It will alongside days like the changing the offside law, and not least the backpass to the goalkeeper law which at the time many of us were very sceptical about at the time but now we have taken to our hearts and appreciate it.” Meanwhile, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has welcomed the use of the Hawkeye system. “It’s good news and I hope there is more good news to come on technology because we want the right decisions to be taken. The more assistance the referees get, the better it is,” said the Arsenal boss.
A Lake Worth man was arrested after crashing into a truck and then trying to run over two pedestrians, police say.29-year-old Alexander Medina was arrested Tuesday night in the Florida Keys and he faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, hit-and-run and grand theft of a motor vehicle.Monroe County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Adam Linhardt said Medina was driving a red Ford Focus recklessly on Stock Island. He hit a truck, and then fled the scene before attempting to run over a woman and her boyfriend walking near the highway. The couple went to a nearby Circle K gas station and called 911 when the car tried to run them over again.A deputy spotted Medina speeding on the highway and once he hit a dead-end street the deputy ordered Medina out of the car at gunpoint.Linhardt said the woman who was nearly run over identified Medina as the driver, and damage to the car coincided with damage to the truck.No injuries were reported.
The National Hurricane Center say Tropical Storm Cristobal has strengthened as it moves from the Gulf closer to the Mexican coast.Forecasters said on Tuesday night that the storm would continue to gain strength as it approaches the northern Gulf Coast this weekend, producing heavy rain, coastal flooding, and gusty winds. Cristobal could still move inland and then head back out into the Gulf, or it could stay on its current projection and reach parts of the U.S. from the Upper Texas Coast to the Florida Panhandle.SUMMARY OF 400 AM CDT…0900 UTC…INFORMATION———————————————-LOCATION…18.9N 92.0WABOUT 25 MI…40 KM NNW OF CIUDAD DEL CARMEN MEXICOMAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS…60 MPH…95 KM/HPRESENT MOVEMENT…SE OR 140 DEGREES AT 3 MPH…6 KM/HMINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE…994 MB…29.36 INCHES Cristobal is the earliest named storm on record in the Atlantic basin, beating Tropical Storm Colin, which formed on June 5th, 2016.
Three events that will take place in Donegal in the year of the Gathering have received funding from the IPB Gathering Ireland Fund.These include the Dave Gallagher International Summer School in Ramelton, the Carndonagh Community School 40th Anniversary Reunion and the Welcome Back the Missionaries event which will each receive funding of €8,330. Speaking following this announcement by Minister Michael Ring, TD on Thursday last, the Mayor of Donegal Cllr. Frank McBrearty has welcomed this funding, describing these events as among some of most ambitious flagship events to be held in Donegal during the year of the Gathering.“Donegal is really embracing the whole concept of the Gathering with many exciting and wonderful events planned for the County in 2013. These three events which have received funding from the IPB Gathering Ireland Fund are among some of the most ambitious planned for the county.”He added that “the community buy-in that the Gathering has achieved is remarkable with events being planned for all parts of the county. Donegal County Council is fully committed to working with communities to ensure that Donegal continues to feature strongly on the calendar of events for the Gathering 2013”.This funding has been made available as a result of a €1m philanthropic donation by IPB Insurance. Donegal County Council administered this fund in Donegal based on agreed application criteria and a key criteria was the capacity to attract overseas visitors. Mr. Seamus Neely, County Manager acknowledged that a large number of applications were received and that the Council will continue to provide ongoing advice and support to all groups and organisations interested in hosting a Gathering event in Donegal.He stated that “we have an experienced and dedicated team here in the Council who are working closely with the Donegal Gathering Steering Group to support any organisation or group who is interested in hosting an event”.He added “I am very heartened by the enthusiasm in the county for this initiative; it demonstrates that Donegal is not only a welcoming county but also a creative, innovative and resourceful county and this initiative will have many social, cultural and economic long term benefits for Donegal”. COUNCIL WELCOMES IPG GATHERING IRELAND FUNDING FOR DONEGAL EVENTS was last modified: January 22nd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)