‘Waterways Project Improves Lives in Slum Communities’

first_imgContract workers of the Beaches & Waterways Project in New Kru Town have said that they are able to care for their families with the meager salaries they earn from the project.Interviews conducted at the conclusion of the disbursement of four months of arrears at the First International Bank branch on Bushrod Island in Monrovia last week revealed that through the project they are able to provide life’s basic necessities for their families.The contractors said despite the tension in the wake of the Christmas season, the FiBank on Bushrod Island understood their anxieties and worked with them to get their arrears, even after the festive season. “I have been with the project for the last three years,” said an older woman, who identified herself as Anita Doe, “I am able to find food and do a little selling for myself.”Another female worker and a widow, identified only as Ms. Togba, said she is a grandmother of five children. “It is through this work that I care for them and myself.”Many of the young women workers said they are single parents who don’t have any financial support other than what they earn from working with the Beaches & Waterways Project. A majority of the young workers are students, some at various universities, including the University of Liberia.The project now has a total number of 1,701, from a previous total of 1,900. The Borough of New Kru Town has 550 workers, according to Senior Monitor for New Kru Town and Chairman of the Project, Android Young Jr.Young said there are 435 workers from West Point, 335 from ELWA and 381 from Mamba Point.He said the project has made positive impact on the lives of the workers and they are grateful to President Sirleaf, through Mr. Binyah Kesselly (Commissioner, Liberia Maritime Authority), for initiating the project to reclaim Monrovia’s beaches that were polluted with human waste. Young told the Daily Observer in an interview at the Beaches and Waterways Project that the project could not have come at a better time, and expressed the workers’ appreciation to President Sirleaf, Commissioner Binyah Kesselly and former project manager Cecelia Cuffy-Brown for the initiative, and how it has been handled.Commissioner Kesselly had described the project as “reclaiming our beaches one community at a time.”President Sirleaf declared that she “wants to make Liberia a maritime nation by keeping our beaches clean, healthy and attractive” through the Beaches & Waterways Project. The project now has an annual budget to be managed by the Ministry of Youth & Sports.The army of contract workers has helped reclaim Monrovia’s beaches and also reduced a number of preventable diseases in slum communities, residents told the Daily Observer.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Padres Beat Up The Mets, 7-3

first_imgNEW YORK — Sure, Justin Upton and Matt Kemp did their part — again. Padres Manager Pat Murphy was excited to get contributions from the rest of the lineup, too.Upton homered and drove in three runs and Yonder Alonso also connected as San Diego beat the New York Mets 7-3 on July 29 despite three long balls from Lucas Duda.Kemp, Yangervis Solarte and Will Venable all drove in early runs as San Diego chased Bartolo Colon (9-10) after only 2 1-3 innings, his shortest start since 2012.Solarte doubled twice and matched a career high with four hits as the Padres won for the seventh time in 11 games since the All-Star break.“It makes it really helpful. You can’t ask those guys — and we have asked Kemp and Upton to provide all the wins for us lately — it’s great to see that those (other) guys are performing, Alonso and all those guys are coming through,” Murphy said. “It’s a good team win.”Duda hit the first of his home runs leading off the second to end Tyson Ross’ streak of starts without allowing one at 16, a Padres record. Ross (7-8) hadn’t given up a homer since April 28, a span of 100 innings.Ross exited after just five innings, allowing just two hits, because his right quadriceps was tightening after he was struck by a comebacker in the fourth.“Got me pretty good in the quad,” Ross said. “I told him I could still go.”Duda also connected in the sixth off Kevin Quackenbush and in the ninth off Marcos Mateo. Duda has six homers in the last four games after going through an extended slump.As rumors spread throughout Citi Field that the Mets had acquired outfielder Carlos Gomez from Milwaukee in a trade that would possibly include infielder Wilmer Flores, fans gave the rookie shortstop a standing ovation when he came to bat in the seventh inning. Then Flores wiped away tears when he warmed up at shortstop before the eighth.It wasn’t until after the game that Flores learned the truth.“There is no trade,” Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson said. “Unfortunately social media, etc., got ahead of the facts and it may have had an adverse affect on one of the players rumored to be involved. It was an unfortunate situation.”The Mets had their three-game winning streak snapped. They fell two games behind Washington in the NL East.Mentioned along with several teammates in numerous rumors ahead of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, Upton had a sacrifice fly in the first inning after the first three Padres singled off Colon for a 2-0 lead.Venable and Solarte had RBI hits in the second, and Upton and Alonso led off the third with consecutive homers to make it 6-1.Upton added a run-scoring single in the sixth.“It’s always good to get results but I can’t predict the future,” Upton said. “I can only come here tomorrow and work the same way I did today and previous days and try to get myself up to a better position.”(HOWIE RUMBERG, AP Baseball Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

2nd PUC Result 2019 in Karnataka When where and how to check

first_imgStudents of class 12 must be relieved after completing their examinations, but not completely as the results are yet to be announced. The mixed anticipation of feelings should be exhausting, but students will be relieved when the 2nd PUC results will be announced in Karnataka next week.The Karnataka Secondary Education Examination Board (KSEEB) will declare 2nd Pre University Exam 2019 results on April 15. While the board exam results will be displayed in respective schools a day after, thanks to digitalisation, students can check their results online before the college publishes them.The KSEEB will declare the results on the official websites, including karresults.nic.in, kseeb.kar.nic.in and pue.kar.nic.in. The websites do not display any results right now, but they will be when the board declares them at noon on April 15. Students appear in ICSE class 10 exams in Kolkata on Feb 26, 2018 [Representational picture]IANSIn order to check Karnataka 2nd PUC results, students can follow these simple steps:Step 1: Open a browser on a PC, go to one of the KSEEB websites – karresults.nic.in, kseeb.kar.nic.in, pue.kar.nic.inStep 2: Click on “Karnataka PUC Result 2019″Step 3: Enter you registration/roll number and hit SubmitStep 4: The results will appear in a few momentsStep 5: Students can download the results and take a print out for future reference IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:01/1:28Loaded: 0%0:02Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-1:27?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … UP police busts cheating racket in Allahabadcenter_img Closelast_img read more

Baker Hughes tries to reassure investors as Halliburton deal fails

first_imgBaker Hughes Inc sought to reassure investors on Monday by announcing a $2.5 billion plan to buy back stock and pay down debt, using the breakup fee it will receive following the collapse of its long-stalled takeover by fellow oilfield services provider Halliburton Inc.Now each company must map out a strategy to thrive on its own. Both had hoped the merger would help them weather the worst oil price crash in a generation, which has caused hundreds of thousands of layoffs across the industry.Wall Street analysts said Halliburton should be in better shape than Baker Hughes but praised Baker Hughes’ plan to cut annual costs by some $500 million in an oversupplied market while repurchasing shares.”(This) equates to meaningful upside potential to earnings estimates in 2016 and 2017″ for Baker Hughes, UBS analyst Angeline Sedita said in a note to clients.Baker Hughes said proceeds from a $3.5 billion breakup fee from Halliburton would fund a $1.5 billion share buyback and the repayment of $1 billion of debt.Shares of Halliburton rose 2.6 percent to $42.36 on Monday, while Baker Hughes fell 2.8 percent to $47.04.Baker Hughes has faced employee turnover and cutbacks ever since Halliburton announced plans 18 months ago to buy it in a deal first valued at $35 billion.Regulators in the United States and overseas frowned upon the transaction, calling it a threat to competition and innovation. That led both sides to scrap the agreement on Sunday.The U.S. Justice Department had filed a lawsuit last month to stop the deal, saying it would leave only two dominant oilfield services companies, the merged Halliburton-Baker Hughes entity and global market leader Schlumberger Ltd.Baker Hughes, which is developing products that lower costs and maximise production for oil and gas producers, also said on Monday it planned to refinance a $2.5 billion credit facility, which expires in September.The company said an initial phase of cost-cutting should result in $500 million of annualised savings by the end of 2016.In a separate regulatory filing on Monday, Baker Hughes said it had cut 2,000 more jobs in the first quarter, adding to worldwide reductions of 18,000 last year. The company had about 43,000 employees as of Dec. 31. Baker Hughes said on Wednesday that it recorded after-tax “merger-retained” costs of $110 million in the first quarter, leading to a bigger net loss for the period.The Houston-based company also said then that it was limiting its exposure to the unprofitable onshore pressure pumping business in North America.Halliburton, which will release its first-quarter results on Tuesday, said on April 22 that revenue for the period slumped 40 percent.Shares of Baker Hughes have fallen 25 percent since the merger deal was announced in November 2014. Halliburton stock declined more than 19 percent in that time.last_img read more