Handball Association Clarifies Pressing Issues

first_imgStarted at the campus of University of Liberia, the National Handball Association, NHA, has made a stride that many of his players, mostly students from the various schools are proud of. When Professor J. Mayson Saweler thought of the need to encourage the formation of the sport, he was aware of the challenges ahead.As a professor of physical education, Saweler realized that a healthy body is a happy person, and therefore he went ahead, with support from sports lovers to get the organization off the ground.“I proceeded nonetheless,” Saweler, who is also president of the Liberia National Handball Association, told the Daily Observer last Tuesday in Monrovia, “because I knew there was more that the sport can do for Liberian youths.”That was four years ago. Fast forward it to the year 2014 and after successful handling of the sport’s affairs, several schools in Monsterrado County, Grand Bassa, and Margibi County are part of it.“Liberia is not Monrovia,” Saweler said, “so we decided to take the sport to other counties.” And his administration is considering further expansion, after the successful defeat of the Ebola outbreak in the country. Regular leagues are organized and awareness about discipline has also been encouraged.In the organization’s first ever international assistance, Olympic Solidarity of the International Olympic Committee, through the Liberia National Olympic Committee, LNOC, provided sponsorship, along with a foreign expert that took participants through the sport’s fundamentals.“It was that support that moved our sport to another level,” Saweler said. He now pleads for more Liberian government’s support.He said, “We completed Ebola awareness for student athletes in Monrovia and we had hoped to extend it outside Montserrado County,” which could not continue due to lack of material support.Meanwhile, at the end of its successful leagues before the outbreak of the deadly Ebola disease, “We have six schools to award prizes at a convenient period,” he said.The schools, he said are Sarah Barclay in both male and female categories, (senior high); Melvin Sonnii (junior high) female division and Newport (male).“Slipway won both male and female versions in the elementary division,” he said.He said the six schools would receive a total amount of Ld30, 000.00, along with one set of jersey.One of the major setbacks for handball, he said, was the recent cancellation of both male and female teams to have participated in the Lome, Togo youth tournament.“Despite the disappointment,” Saweler said, “the grant of U$11,400.00 from the International Handball Federation is being spent for the development of handball, with the blessing of the International Handball Federation.”“It was good news for us,” he said. During the preparation for the abortive trip to Togo, the Ministry of Youth and Sports could not honor a budgeted U$16,000.00, since the ministry did not have money for the trip; a source told the Daily Observer.Among other activities, Saweler said his administration has purchased a vehicle for the organization to ease transportation difficulties. Needed support, he said was provided for three students, recently quarantined in West Point, and another is planned for three players in Dolo Town, in Margibi County who are also quarantined as a result of the fight of Ebola.Said head Coach Arthur N. Dormoh, “We are excited about the progress of handball so far because we can now travel to other counties and make deliveries of 100 handballs.”Coach Dormoh has been with handball from its formation. His colleague is (coach) Phillip Mansaray, who handles the male team.President Saweler meanwhile noted his appreciation to the LNOC for providing an office space for the association. “We have a contact point on By-Pass in Monrovia and we thank LNOC and its president Phillibert Browne for their support,” he said.He meanwhile expressed further appreciation to a foreign national who has been financially supportive to the development of handball in Liberia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

LYIT AND FINN HARPS ANNOUNCE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME

first_imgFinn Harps Football Club and Letterkenny Institute of Technology announce the launch of Donegal’s first pre-entry soccer scholarship programme.The programme is aimed at developing footballers for the Harps first team squad, whilst also offering Scholarship recipients the opportunity to pursue a third-level education. There will be three soccer scholarships available on an annual basis and the successful candidates will train with and play for Finn Harps and also represent the LYIT teams.Both organisations are also looking forward to exploring further areas of mutual benefit.Finn Harps Chairman Joey O Leary said, “We are delighted to be working with LYIT to provide those who have displayed exceptional soccer potential with a facility to also pursue their further education.“The club feels it is important that we can accommodate our young players who would prefer to receive their third level education within the County. This scholarship programme will mean the successful candidates can receive the ongoing coaching which is vital to their development” Paul Hannigan, President of LYIT, said, “This is an important initiative for LYIT and our continued engagement with the community. We are delighted to be working with Finn Harps and creating opportunities for young footballers to pursue their careers while achieving their academic potential.”James Rodgers, Finn Harps Youth Development Officer, feels the programme will be hugely beneficial to its participants.“We know from experience that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication for young players to establish themselves in senior football. We feel it’s very important that all young athletes become aware of the value of furthering their education.”“Finn Harps scholarship partnership with LYIT is part of the Club’s long-term commitment to the development of local talent. The aim is that those participating in the Scholarship programme will emerge with both a valued academic qualification and the possibility of a career in the Airtricity League and beyond,” he added.Minimum academic and sporting criteria expected of applicants and further guidelines will be released on www.finnharps.com on Monday, 30 July.Applications are available on request from the Clubhouse at Finn Park, Navenny Street, Ballybofey. These should be returned for the attention of the Scholarship Administrator, Denise O’Neill. LYIT AND FINN HARPS ANNOUNCE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME was last modified: July 24th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:finn harpsLYITscholarshipslast_img read more

Migrant Couples from India, China Choosing to Abort Unborn Girls in Australia: Report

first_imgIndian and Chinese migrant couples in Australia are opting for termination of pregnancy after finding out that the fetus is female, according to a recent study. Advancement of technology in Australia has made it possible for would-be parents to know the gender of the fetus as early as 10 weeks into the pregnancy, giving them a chance to have selective pregnancy, it said.The number of baby boys born is expected to be 105 per 100 girls born if natural birth processes are left un-interrupted, according to the study. However, the analysis found a huge difference in the figures, which indicated that a selective approach is being adopted to select the gender of the upcoming baby.About 1.2 million births in Victoria between 1999 and 2015 were analyzed in the research, conducted by La Trobe University, Melbourne. The analysis showed that mothers within some key migrant communities, such as Chinese and Indian immigrants, are giving birth to sons at rates of over 120 for every 100 daughters in later pregnancies.The study found that during 2011 to 2015, China-born mothers gave birth to 108 boys to every 100 girls. If they already had two or more children, the said rate was 125 to every 100 girls, showing that pregnancy after having two or more children increased the bias towards a baby boy, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.Similarly, India-born mothers gave birth at a rate of about 104 boys to 100 girls, if it was their first child. Rate of birth of boys increased to 122 boys to every 100 girls after their second child.The findings showed that gender bias is persistent in the country, despite laws banning people from choosing the sex of their child, except in case of medical complications, according to Dr Kristina Edvardsson from Melbourne’s La Trobe University, the lead researcher of the study.“We believe that some women may be terminating pregnancies after discovering they are expecting a girl and in other cases are travelling overseas to access non-medical sex selection services through assisted reproduction,” she said, the publication reported.The findings have also raised questions about whether it is necessary to provide parents with early gender information.There is no regulation for ultrasound providers in Australia about when the information regarding the sex of the upcoming baby should be shared, according to the Daily Mail. The Australasian Sonographers Association doesn’t want to get involved in this debate, the Age reported.If the sonographer is confident about the baby’s gender, they would provide the details upon asking, Jodie Long, chief executive of the association, told the publication. “What the parents do with information is not for the sonographer to determine,” she added. Related ItemsAustraliawomen’s rightslast_img read more