Aguero blow for Pellegrini

first_img Top scorer Sergio Aguero is set for a month on the sidelines after suffering a hamstring injury as City moved top of the Barclays Premier League on Wednesday with a 5-1 win at Tottenham. The prolific Argentinian had taken his tally for the season to 26 before limping off just before half-time at White Hart Lane. Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini expects the goals to continue flowing despite injury to the player he regards as the most important at the club. But with 115 goals scored in total by City this season, Pellegrini is not overly concerned. City won seven and drew one during Aguero’s month-long absence with a calf injury recently. Pellegrini said: “Of course it is very difficult because Sergio is a top player for us but I think we will replace him. “Sergio has just come back from an injury when he could not play for a month, and all the other strikers – Alvaro Negredo, Edin Dzeko and now Stevan Jovetic – replaced him. “I hope they continue the same way but, I repeat, we lose the most important player at the club.” Aguero had been playing in just his fifth game since returning from the calf injury and he had scored in all of them, including a hat-trick against Watford in the FA Cup. His new problem will rule him out of next Monday’s top-of-the-table clash with Chelsea and the follow-up meeting in the FA Cup fifth round later in the month. Most notably, he will also miss the first leg of City’s last-16 glamour tie against Barcelona in the Champions League but there is a possibility he could face Sunderland in the Capital One Cup final on March 2. Without Aguero, City will host Chelsea on Monday looking to assert themselves at the top of the table. The convincing win at Spurs lifted Pellegrini’s men into first place and prompted opposing manager Tim Sherwood to describe them as the best team on the planet. Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho attempted to crank up the pressure ahead of Monday’s game by dismissing that statement. “Maybe, for the Tottenham manager, the planet is England,” the Portuguese said. Mourinho has, however, said recently he regards City as title favourites, even though his third-placed side beat them in October and trail them by just three points. But Pellegrini, who was replaced as Real Madrid boss by Mourinho in 2010, has no interest in any verbal jousting. He said: “I feel I never comment on nothing that Mourinho says. “I don’t have nothing against Mourinho. It is not me against Mourinho, or him against me. “On Monday it is Manchester City against Chelsea, both teams are fighting for the title. Nothing more.” Pellegrini is also too modest to agree with Sherwood. “I don’t know if we are the best team on the planet,” the Chilean said. “I know that if we play every game the way we played, especially the first 45 minutes – for the whole game but, of course, after they were with one player less it was little a bit easier – we are a very good team.” What is not in doubt is the importance of Monday’s eagerly-anticipated contest. Pellegrini said: “For both teams it is a game of six points. “With Arsenal we are the three involved for the fight for the title, and also Liverpool and Everton, so every game we play against all those teams is a game for six points.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Region 6 accepts ‘old’ $15M bulldozer

first_img…investigation launchedRegional Executive Officer (REO) of Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) Kim Williams-Stephen says the used bulldozer, which was recently purchased is indeed the property of the regional administration.Her acceptance came days after she denied that the machinery was property of the regional administration at the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) meeting last Thursday.“It is not a part of our property; we have not signed as receiving it as yet,” she told the RDC and also denied that the Region had paid the supplier for the equipment. However, at a press conference on Monday, the REO told reporters that the bulldozer, which was purchased for $14.8 million, now belonged to the Region. It was at the RDC meeting that concerns were raised over the bulldozer.Councillor Zamal Hussain called on the administration to explain the purpose of buying an old machine versus a new one.The bulldozerWeighing in on the matter, Regional Chairman David Armogan said it appeared to be a D3 Caterpillar bulldozer that was painted over and a D4 sticker was placed on it. He told the RDC that from his observations a further $6 million would have to be expended based on the level of deterioration of the machine. However, the REO told reporters at her press conference that the money was approved by Cabinet for a D3 bulldozer, noting that the proper procurement procedure was followed.“On Friday last the supplier was called and he promised to come in on Tuesday (yesterday) and if there is any defects, he is going to correct,” she said. She added that the equipment, which is now the property of the Region, came with a one-year warranty.“The facts are that the Region is in receipt of the bulldozer. If there are any defects, then it will be communicated to the supplier, who would have given the administration the one-year warranty so that in the event that we have any faulty or malfunctioning of the equipment, it will be addressed.”At the RDC meeting, the REO had said that the administration did not pay for the equipment. However, records at the RDC showed that early last year the supplier was paid $8 million for mobilisation and a further $6.7 million was paid on December 28.The bulldozer was accepted even though no inspection certificate was signed, and Armogan is calling for an investigation. He said that they should invite engineers to view the equipment and evaluate its cost and also whether it was indeed a Caterpillar D4 bulldozer.last_img read more

NIE not a get-out-of-sanctions-free card

first_imgIT’S disconcerting to say the least: watching the National Intelligence Estimate be spun from a report saying Iran suspended its nuclear weapons program in 2003 into broad – even jubilant – conclusions that Iran has therefore ceased to be a threat. Last week I sat down with America’s envoy to the United Nations, Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, in the wake of the NIE fallout, and as the U.S. prepared a draft resolution calling for a third round of sanctions against the Islamic Republic for its uranium enrichment and reprocessing activities. The ambassador noted that there were regional events in 2003 that would have freaked out any naughty regime: the coalition’s entrance into Iraq, and Libya bowing to pressure to fess and up and give up its weapons of mass destruction. “We will argue that the NIE dealt with the covert, undeclared weapons program,” Khalilzad said. “…The Libyans came clean on their program and Iran, fearing possible discovery of their program, stopped or suspended their covert program.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champSimilar pressure now, he said, is key to averting a nuclear buildup later. Because the question is not about Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his blatant ramblings about the destruction of Israel, but about the ayatollah and mullahocracy that pull Ahmadinejad’s strings. And one can’t say Iran is not a dangerous regime. Like how Iran has been arming terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan – a way of fighting us by proxy. “In Iraq, we’re doing two things: we’re pressuring the Iranian networks that bring in weapons and at the same time we’re having discussions with the Iranians about Iraq,” Khalilzad said. “…There are some indications that they may have adjusted their policy recently in a more positive direction. But we would want to see a lot more of that and we want it to be sustained. “In regards to Afghanistan, there, too, we go after the network … that brings in the Iranian weapons,” he said. The fact still remains that Iran is blithely in violation of the Security Council resolutions on its uranium enrichment and reprocessing activities, and uranium can be used for malignant purposes as well as benign energy production. “We must get ready to rule the world,” Ahmadinejad said last year. “…The Islamic government in Iran is the prerequisite for a worldwide Islamic state.” And in that quest, Ahmadinejad has gotten cozy with other rogue, would-be totalitarian world rulers, like meetings with neo-Marxist regimes in Latin America that puts Iranian interests a little too close to the border of the “Great Satan” for comfort. “We know that the Middle East for us is geopolitically the most difficult and the most important region,” Khalilzad said. “In Iran, of course, there’s the sanction threat because it wants to dominate the region, … because of its policies in Iraq and Afghanistan that we talked about, because of its policies in Lebanon, its support for Hamas in Gaza and … its opposition to the peace process, its opposition to Israel’s existence, support for extremists and sometimes terrorist groups. Iran poses a threat in that theater.” The ambassador said Iran, Venezuela and Russia – a veto-wielder at the Security Council – currently share some common rhetorical ground. “But at the same time, as you say, they have these economic relations and military relationship in terms of supplying weapons, and we have been obviously engaging the Russians very intensely to get them to reduce that positive engagement and to use their influence to get Iran to suspend its nuclear program,” Khalilzad said. “And even … in the aftermath of NIE, the foreign minister was quoted as saying (President Vladimir) Putin told Mr. (Saeed) Jalili, who’s the lead negotiator, that they need to come into compliance with U.N. Security Council demands, which is positive.” NIE does not stand for “off the hook,” and it certainly doesn’t stand for “out of the woods.” The question of whether Iran restarted its nuclear weapons program after the 2003 suspension still remains, but in the meantime Iran and its American supporters will use the NIE as a political football and a propaganda victory. In the meantime, Iran can look forward to unwrapping its Christmas present – the next draft resolution regarding its fun with uranium – and work on retooling its rhetoric for the new year. “They have been asked by the international community, U.N. Security Council, to suspend (enrichment and reprocessing),” Khalilzad said. “Nothing with regard to what the NIE states.” Bridget Johnson writes for the Daily News and blogs at insidesocal.com/friendlyfire. E-mail her at bridget.johnson@dailynews.com.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more