Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedMUST SEE: Town-Wide Yard Sale Map Finalized With 56 LocationsIn “Community”Wilmington’s 5th Annual Town-Wide Yard Sale Set For June 8; Applications Now AvailableIn “Community”Wilmington’s 2nd Annual Town-Wide Yard Sale Set For June 11In “Community” WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Memorial Library has organized the fourth annual Town Wide Yard Sale this Saturday, June 9, 2018, from 8am to 2pm.More than 70 locations are participating in this year’s sale! The list and map of yard sale locations can be found below. The map is also located online HERE (where it’s a bit larger and clearer). Paper maps are available at the library, Town Hall, and the Market Basket courtesy counter.
WILMINGTON, MA — At last month’s 19th Middlesex State Representative debate, candidates were asked what they would do to help small businesses in Wilmington and Tewksbury, including those along Route 38, be successful.“I think the biggest problem is the street itself,” said Patricia Meuse (I-Tewksbury). “Route 38 is not wide enough to take care of the traffic for those businesses. You can’t get out of those businesses during the daytime. The planning is poor. When they put developments on 38, they don’t plan ahead.”“For pedestrians, Route 38 needs sidewalks on both sides of the street so they don’t interrupt the flow of the traffic,” added Meuse. “They need to repair the road. The road is a mess. They probably need to widen it. And there needs to be a plan in each town — if we want new businesses, how do we make it easily accessible and ease the traffic as well?”“I’m 100% pro-small business,” said Pina Prinzivalli (R-Tewksbury). “Speaking to some of the small businesses we currently have, there’s a lot of regulations they’re not happy with and is very expensive. Rent is very expensive. I’d like to work with our local officials to see what we can do for these small businesses and to lower their annual filing fees of $500.”“I will always stand up for small businesses.” added Prinzivalli. “We recently had a situation in Tewksbury with a boycott of a small business. I’m the only candidate here tonight that has stood up for that small business, whose owner is a sitting State Rep and completely beloved, Jim Lyons. I consider him a friend of mine. The business is Dandi-Lyons. This is a business he needs to support his family. I’m 100% small business and will always stand up for them.”“Route 38, when I started driving, I think had six lights on it. Now the towns have exploded in terms of population,” said Dave Robertson (D-Tewksbury). “I’m the only candidate that has said a private landowner cannot develop. I understand we need to be ahead of the curve here, we need to work with local town officials, the state, and local business owners. But to tell someone what they can or cannot do with their commercial property? That’s what the Planning Board and Zoning Board are for.”“The problem [on Route 38] is the flow,” added Robertson. “Mile 16 in Tewksbury, right across from Dandi-Lyons, or here in Wilmington with the stretch of 129 and 38 split off at Burlington Avenue, they’re chokepoints. Why? There’s outdated traffic infrastructure. They’re timed lights. And if they’re smart lights, they’re not timed particularly well. Their turning lanes are restrictive… And we have to take a look beyond Route 38 and make sure 129 and 133 don’t shoulder the burden of traffic diverted from Route 38. It needs to be a complete picture.”Moderator Tom Zuppa then asked the candidates to respond to the Dandi-Lyons controversy.“I just heard about it yesterday,” said Patricia Meuse (I-Tewksbury). “I thought I’d stay out of it. Jim is a very good friend of mine as well. If you asked me what type of ice cream I like, I’d say Dandi-Lyons. I think that was a single person who made a statement and she was way off base.”“For those who may not be in the know, the Republican Town Committee of Tewksbury put out something saying I was anti-small business because a fellow Democrat in Wilmington called for a boycott of his business,” said Dave Robertson (D-Tewksbury). “This was a boycott I was not consulted with. It’s not a boycott I support. And it was something she said on her own private Facebook page, which brings up the question of her first amendment rights… This is a discrattionary issue. I want to get to work as State Rep on things like taxation, Route 38, smart development, new schools.”“My opponent is saying the person who put this out has the right to do so,” said Pina Prinzivalli (R-Tewksbury). “And that’s fine. But if you’re pro-small business, and it’s your party that’s putting the boycott out there, you should have spoken up. I was the only candidate that stood up for that small business.”“I not only have, but my committee has responded and done so in public and to all these panelists’ media outlets,” clarified Robertson. Watch the debate, courtesy of Wilmington Community Television, below. Fast-foward to 15:11 for the discussion on Route 38.—Video Playerhttps://objects-us-east-1.dream.io/wilmington/b/7/7/6/b/a/b776ba68-25f6-40b8-ba64-296deaed181f1540570938.027%2B45353637.070%40castus4-wilmington%2B15405738551540571121202980.vod.720p.181025_State_Rep_Debate.mp4Media error: Format(s) not supported or source(s) not foundmejs.download-file: https://objects-us-east-1.dream.io/wilmington/b/7/7/6/b/a/b776ba68-25f6-40b8-ba64-296deaed181f1540570938.027%2B45353637.070%40castus4-wilmington%2B15405738551540571121202980.vod.720p.181025_State_Rep_Debate.mp4?_=100:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.—Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSTATE REP RACE Q&A: Meuse, Prinzivalli & Robertson Talk TRAFFICIn “Government”STATE REP RACE Q&A: Pina Prinzivalli Discusses Economic Development, Opioid EpidemicIn “Government”STATE REP RACE: Meuse Says She’s The Best Person For The Job, Not Just “That Other Candidate”In “Government”
Simbu in Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven.PR HandoutSimbu has returned to Chennai from London last week to attend his younger brother Kuralarasan’s wedding. The actor looks fit and fine in his new get-up for his upcoming movie Maanadu, directed by Venkat Prabhu.The actor, after witnessing a downhill in his career for a few years, bounced back with Mani Ratnam’s Chekka Chivantha Vaanam. Although his next film Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven failed to set the box office on fire, he has been getting a lot of good offers.The latest film to come his way is from director Hari, the creator of Singam series. As per the buzz, leading producer AM Rathnam has come forward to fund the project and the initial talks have started. According to sources, nothing is firmed up at this stage and both the parties will be in a stage to talk about the project.It may be recalled that Simbu had worked with Hari in Kovil.Currently, Simbu is preparing for Venkat Prabhu’s film and lost 13 kgs in a span of 37 days. He has reportedly given nod to play the role of MR Radha in his biopic. He will be teaming up with Arvind Swami in the flick, directed by Ike.
The new guidelines have led to a lot of confusion in the Indian pharma industryCreative CommonsThe central government’s draft guidelines for the online pharmacy industry have raised serious concerns for players working in the expanding space. The draft also includes a possible overlapping role of state governments.The gazette notification released by the centre on 28th August requires all the e-pharmacies to register with the apex drug regulator and central licensing authority, which is the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation.The Economic Times reported that one the clauses of the rules also empower the state governments to cancel the registration of the players which has led to the fear of overregulation in a sector that has emerged as a growing sector over the last three years.Atul Pandey, a partner at law firm Khaitan & Co. speaking to the Economic Times said that “While the draft rules clearly mention a central licensing authority, as far as e-pharmacy marketplaces are concerned, there is also Rule 67T (3), which talks about the power of the state governments to cancel the registrations. The confusion lies around the question of where this power is coming from.”Moreover, it is also unclear the whether the offline players including selling medicines on online platforms will also have to register with the central licensing authority. Pandey also added that “There is also a requirement under existing rules for each and every drug, retailers and wholesalers to obtain a license from the state authorities. It is not clear if the online portals will have to register with the state authorities in relation with the drugs sold through the portal.”India’s pharma sector has been growing at a very healthy rate in the recent past. According to the India Brand Equity Foundation, India’s pharmaceutical sector is valued at $33 billion in 2017. Moreover, it is likely to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 22.4% over 2015–20 to reach $55 billion.Growing with this rate, the country is expected to be in the top three pharmaceutical markets by incremental growth and it is also expected to become the sixth largest market globally in absolute size by the year 2020. There are numerous opportunities in the domestic e-pharmacy market but at the current levels, it has only captured 1% of the overall pharmaceutical market. Market research shows that it is expected to reach $3 billion by 2024.
Nepalese residents wade through floodwaters at Janakpur, some 300kms south-east of Kathmandu. Photo: AFPMonsoon floods and landslides have killed at least 94 people across Nepal and India but officials fear that figure could rise sharply as rescuers search for dozens believed lost under mud and in submerged villages.Authorities Sunday upgraded the death toll from flash flooding across landlocked Nepal to 49 as the water kept rising, forcing thousands to flee for higher ground.“Another 17 are missing. Search and rescue works are underway but the water levels have not declined yet,” said Shankar Hari Acharya, the chief of Nepal’s national emergency centre.The Red Cross estimated a higher death toll of 53, with dozens more missing and injured, and thousands of homes destroyed.In neighbouring India, a massive landslide in the mountainous north swept two passenger buses off a hillside and into a deep gorge, killing 45 people, an official said.The coaches had stopped for a tea break around midnight Saturday in Himachal Pradesh when tonnes of rock and mud cascaded down a mountainside.Forty-five bodies have been recovered from the accident site in the Himalayan state, said Sandeep Kadam, a senior official at the scene, late Sunday.But more were still missing somewhere at the bottom of the ravine, with soldiers and rescuers working into the night to reach those beneath the mud and rock.“Around 200 metres of national highway washed away with two buses and more than 50 feared buried,” said Indian army spokesman Colonel Aman Anand, who was helping coordinate rescue efforts.Heavy tollIndian Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended his condolences and prayers for those affected by the accident.“Pained by the loss of lives due to landslide-related accidents in HP’s Mandi district,” he posted on Twitter, using the acronym for Himachal Pradesh state.The disaster followed days of heavy rain, which loosens the soil on steep hillsides and threatens villages at the foot of mountains every monsoon season.Hundreds have died across India in torrential rain, floods and landslides since the onset of the wet season in April.In Nepal the toll from this year’s monsoon—which typically lasts from late June until the end of August—has already eclipsed last year, with more than 100 people confirmed dead.Last weekend in the central lowlands, four girls from the same family drowned when they fell into a flooded roadside ditch.Nepal’s weather department warned that heavy rain was expected to continue for another day, following days of torrential downpours.“There isn’t a house without water,” said Raghu Ram Mehta, a resident of the southern district of Sunsari which has suffered nine deaths, the highest of any district.“Hundreds of families are taking shelter in local schools.”Footage aired on Nepali TV showed villagers wading through waist-high water with their belongings and using boats to reach higher ground.Families perched on trees with young children overnight as flood waters swept away homes in a village in the southern district of Chitwan, local media reported.In the popular jungle safari resort of Sauraha in Chitwan, hotels were forced to shift their guests to higher floors as water rushed in.A hotel owner said they used elephants to transport tourists to the nearest open highway and airport to help them return to the capital Kathmandu.Biratnagar airport in the eastern district of Morang was closed after being submerged in a metre of water, according to authorities at the international terminal.“I have already instructed authorities concerned to rescue flood victims, move them to safer locations and immediately provide relief to them,” Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba said in a video recording Saturday.
Rafiqul Islam said the commission will take legal actions against the people concerned if the election campaign materials are not removed by Sunday midnight. Rafiqul IslamElection commissioner Rafiqul Islam on Sunday said the Election Commission did not give any directive to law enforcement agencies to gather information of probable presiding officers and assistant presiding officers, reports UNB.“However, the commission has given necessary directives to law enforcement agencies not to harass any probable polling officers in this regard,” said Rafiqul Islam while talking to newsmen at his Nirbachan Bhaban office.Replying to a question over BNP’s list of the politically-motivated cases submitted to the EC on Sunday, Rafiqul said the commission will scrutinise the list and then give directives to police not to harass anyone in such cases.“If there’re such cases, it’ll destroy the polls environment,” he said over the BNP allegation of their leaders and workers being arrested in false, fabricated and fictitious cases ahead of the election.In reply to another question over Awami League general secretary’s allegation over BNP acting chairman Tarique Rahman, the election commissioner said if anyone comes up with evidence and law permits the commission will take steps against the BNP leader over his reported video conversation with his party’s nomination seekers.