‘That was no draw’, says Walters after boxing decision

first_img“I clearly won the fight; that was no draw. I am shocked by this decision,” were the words of a disappointed Nicholas ‘The Axeman’ Walters yesterday, when asked to comment on the majority draw decision of the judges in his fight against Jason Sosa, at the Turning Stone Resort in Verona, New York, on Saturday night.In what has been declared by journalists who watched the fight at ringside as ‘the worst scored fight of 2015’, one judge, Tom Schreck, had Sosa the winner 96-94, while the other judges, Wynn Kintz and Don Ackerman, had it 95-95. The Gleaner scored the fight 97-93 for Walters, and as another point of reference, experienced HBO scorer and former international boxing judge, Harold Lederman, scored it 99-91 for Walters.It was a hard-fought and entertaining fight, with Walters, (26-0), fighting as a super featherweight (130 lb) for the first time. Having lost his featherweight title in June on the scale, when he weighed in a pound over the featherweight limit of 126 lb, Walters was using this fight as a benchmark to see how he would perform at the higher weight class.On this occasion, he fought a bigger man in the person of Sosa, who entered the ring with a 18-1-3 record, but he held his own in a fight that was mostly at close range, and his vicious body attacks clearly bothered his opponent. If one could find fault with his work during the 10 bruising rounds, it would be that he did not use his jabs enough.Whenever Walters went on the outside, he looked far superior than his opponent, and it was surprising that his trainers, Celso Ch·vez and Job Walters, did not tell him at any time in the fight to use his jabs more.The impression given was that they wanted to prove a point. They wanted it to be seen that Walters could outslug a bigger opponent.This tactic nearly backfired, however, as the judges clearly did not give Walters full credit for the good, clean punches to the body that he landed repeatedly. Walters was clearly the better fighter, and in the fifth round, he shook Sosa with a left hook to the body and right cross to the head combination.Surprisingly, he did not follow through and Sosa weathered the storm.BEST ROUNDSWalters gained the ascendancy as the fight progressed, and in the eighth round, he seemed as if he was trying to end it. This was one of his best rounds.Ironically, Sosa came out aggressively for the ninth, which was perhaps his best round.Walters came back firing on all cylinders in the final round, using jabs and hooks to good advantage, and it seemed a mere formality when the fight ended that it would be the Jamaican raising his hands in victory for the 27th time. That was not to be, however, as he had to share the spoils.He told The Gleaner that he will be taking a break for Christmas and the New Year and will be in Jamaica for a holiday soon.”I am coming home for a short holiday, after which I will sit down with my team and decide what we will do in 2016,” said Walters.last_img read more

Pep: Last season a disaster… City need ten years to match Europe’s elite clubs

first_img Pep is hugely disappointed with City’s progress last season Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has revealed last season was a ‘disaster’ and believes it will take ten years to reach the level of Europe’s elite clubs.City finished fourth last season, but failed to land any silverware, and the pressure is on Guardiola to deliver this coming season. Speaking at an event for Rory McIlroy at Belfast’s Waterfront Hall yesterday, he revealed just how big a task he faces at the Etihad.He said: “I don’t think anyone regarded last year as a season of transition, if you don’t win a trophy it is a disaster.“But we still won’t begin this season thinking we need to win that trophy and this trophy.He added: “City are a great team, but getting to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus… it’s very complicated. You need time, a decade.” 1last_img read more

‘Old fire’ fuels Petron

first_imgMOST READ Petron coach Shaq delos Santos, however, defused the building pressure and sent his squad into the knockout duel for the gold on the saddle of calmness.“We don’t have to be pressured,” he told them. “This is just volleyball. We have to play our normal game if we want to win the crown.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefMore importantly, he asked them to rediscover the energy they had rode on through all their title runs.“I just told them to bring back the old fire that made Petron successful in the past,” said Delos Santos. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netStalled in its bid for a tournament sweep en route to the crown, Petron suddenly found itself on the verge of a painful defeat.F2 Logistics, its chief rival the past few years, forced the Philippine Superliga finals into a sudden-death showdown and flaunted a form that seemed ready to flip the script of the All-Filipino conference.ADVERTISEMENT TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening The players responded.Led by Rhea Dimaculangan, who became the first setter in four years to win an MVP trophy, Aiza Maizo-Pontillas and Bernadeth Pons, the Blaze Spikers slammed the door shut on the Cargo Movers, 25-22, 26-24, 25-23, in Game 3 Thursday night to successfully defend their crown.Maizo-Pontillas and Pons provided the scoring firepower while Dimaculangan made sure her hitters had prime looks at making kills as Petron bounced back from a Game 2 defeat—the team’s only loss the entire conference.“We really never thought of completing a sweep,” said Delos Santos. “We know how tough the competition is and winning all of our games will be very impossible. So instead of eyeing a sweep, what we did was prepare hard every day, give our best and respect our opponents.”Dimaculangan, the 27-year-old former stalwart from University of Santo Tomas, expertly distributed the ball to notch the MVP trophy, the first for a setter since Army’s Tina Salak pulled off the feat four years ago.ADVERTISEMENT PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIEScenter_img Folayang ready for defense vs Aoki Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue Her partner during their UST days and now Petron teammate Maizo-Pontillas was named Best Opposite Hitter.Cignal’s team captain Rachel Anne Daquis was adjudged First Best Outside Hitter, while Generika-Ayala’s Patty Orendain was Second Best Outside Hitter.Another Lifesaver Marivic Meneses ran away with the First Middle Blocker honors, while F2 Logistics’ Majoy Baron was Second Best Middle Blocker.F2’s Kim Fajardo was Best Setter, Generika’s Kath Arado was Best Libero and Cignal’s Mylene Paat was Best Scorer.Also instrumental in Petron’s success were star middle Mika Reyes, Remy Palma, Ging Balse-Pabayo, Frances Molina, Pia Gaiser, Chloe Cortez, Angel Legacion, Sisi Rondina, Mela Tunay, Ria Duremdes and Jasmine Alcayde.Assistant coach Ian Fernandez should also be credited for coming up with a solid scouting report on the Cargo Movers.“This is a total team effort,” Delos Santos said. “This victory will not be possible without the he players, coaches, staff and the SMC management.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next BREAKING: Corrections officer shot dead in front of Bilibid Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting View commentslast_img read more

Tendulkar: Perth 100 shaped my cricketing career

first_imgMCC’s captain Sachin Tendulkar prepares to catch a ball during a cricket match against a Rest of the World team to celebrate 200 years of Lord’s at Lord’s cricket ground in London, July 5, 2014. Photo by Philip Brown (Reuters)Once again terming it his best Test ton, batting legend Sachin Tendulkar today said his career took flight following the knock of 114 on a bouncy WACA track in 1992, adding that the innings against a hostile Australian attack in Perth gave him immense confidence.”One innings that changed my career or gave shape to my career was in Perth, 1992. Perth, at least at that time, was regarded to be the fastest wicket and the hostility of the Australian fast bowlers was something which was difficult to handle. I was able to score a 100 and I was only 19,” he said during an interaction with school children here.”And just two matches before that, I had scored a hundred in Sydney but they were two different kinds of surfaces. I knew that Perth was the kind of wicket which I would not get to play anywhere in the world and If I can bat on Perth and score runs then I am possibly equipped to go on any other track which is fast and bouncy and score runs there.”My career was just starting. I had done well for a couple of years by then but it really took off after that Perth innings because I felt I was ready to take on the world.By no means I was over confident but I became a confident cricketer where any challenge put up against me, I was equipped to face that,” he added.advertisementThe retired great interacted with Ryan International school children at north western Malad during the launch of ‘Kaspersky Kids Awareness Programme’.His response came when he was asked by a student to rate his best Test century out of the 51 tons he had scored in his 24-year international career in which he also notched up 49 ODI hundreds to make it a round 100 centuries.Tendulkar hung up his boots last November after a glittering career that saw him amass 15,921 runs in Tests, at an average of 53.78, and 18426 runs in 463 ODIs at an average of 44.83.The batting maestro said though his father was not interested in cricket he supported Tendulkar when it came to choosing his career, and he would do the same for his children.”In my case my father didn’t decide that I should play cricket. He gave me the freedom to express myself. Above all he found out what I was interested in and of course it was with the help of my brother.”My father was not interested in cricket at all but it was my brother’s initiative. My brother said we need to make him join a summer camp and partially also because I was a very naughty kid. That is how my career started,” he said.”I want the same thing to happen to my children. My son (Arjun) enjoys cricket. Earlier he enjoyed playing football and then it was chess. Now it is cricket.”So whatever he wants to be in life, all I have asked him is to be sincere and honest. I have told him that I will support you and guide you in whatever you want to be in life.”So is the case with my daughter (Sara). She wants to follow her mother’s footsteps. She wants to become a doctor or go the medical side and she has full backing. So it is their choice,” he added.last_img read more